headgasket question

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
im replacing my headgasket for a metal one which one would you guys recommend..HKS,Greddy, or Cometic..i cant make up my mind..i think ive narrowed it down to an HKS or Cometic but im still not sure..what do you guys think?

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
cometic is supposed to be more forgiving on how well you prep the head/block. although i'm running an HKS, sealed up fine. go with the cheaper one.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I am going to use a Cometic, based on the feedback I received. I got from Luis @ Paradiseracing.com for $145 shipped.... good guy to work with. Anyways, I won't have any feedback of my own for awhile, but went thru the same process as U... asking, searching, etc. Good luck!

E

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
it seems as the cometic is what most people have been choosing but ive read about some sort of issue with them will i still have to worry about that?..im leaning towards the cheaper one which would be a cometic cuz i mean a MHG is a MHG right?...im looking to buy it within the next couple days so the more info the better..but it looks like i maybe getting the cometic..also is that the same as titan or different..and what mm should i get 1.4?

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
you wont know what size to get untill after the machine shop has milled your head. the machinist will cut off alittle bit from the bottome of your head, you have to make up for the metal he cut off by getting a thicker hg. for example my machinist took off .007" from my head, which is alittle under .2mm. the stock hg is 1mm thich so i now needed a 1.2mm hg. waite to order teh gasket or you might end up with the wrong size.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
only problem with using one bigger than needed is your compression drops a tiny itsy bitsy bit. Don't go anal over it tho, I hear is lowers the chance of detonation anyways.
eric