headgasket question

keep_itsimple

urdmis
Jan 10, 2008
austraila
my mechanic said to me that i can put a standard headgasket (as in one from toyota) in instead of a metel one because he thinks that the metal ones as soon as they get any moister on them they just leak, also we are going to work out the how thick we have to go after the head comes back from machining
the car makes about 270rwkw on 12psi (if this is a factor)
is this true

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
that is true.....that is why you make sure everything is clean and dry before you install a headgasket.....once the head is clamped down (on very smooth surfaces) there is no way moisture let alone air will get get past it....not to mention that metal headgaskets these days are coated in viton....this viton will help seal any very small imperfections in the block and head surface! if your machinist argues about this further then take your shit elsewhere!!

it sounds like he is lazy and or intimidated by the metal gaskets....maybe he cant cut a head and block deck smooth enough for a metal gasket and he is trying to convince you to go another route! tell him to do what you tell him or he gets no money!

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
got metal head gasket, machine BOTH head and Block to 25RA or better. ie smoother. and clamp to atleast 85ftlbs. use correct step's and sequence.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
gaboonviper85;1352288 said:
if your machinist argues about this further then take your shit elsewhere!!

Ditto!
Sounds like he is an old cheesy man (chevy),
from back in the days of bare copper head gaskets.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
either he is spankin his monkey while doing an oil change, or he is referring to the mixture of coolant and oil making a milky like substance sometimes makes a residue on the bottom of the oil cap, or dipstick area, and i think the other half is saying the other way around, no oil in the coolant tank. :p also said, oil stuff in a milky matter on the rear of the engine block pour, but not the white smoke from the noise pipes lol

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
pimptrizkit;1352295 said:
got metal head gasket, machine BOTH head and Block to 25RA or better. ie smoother. and clamp to at least 85ftlbs. use correct step's and sequence.

Where exactly are you getting these numbers? What brand MHG? ARP or stock head bolts?

My point is none of the above are correct...pure hearsay that is not based on any MHG manufacturer or ARP data. This kind of crap is not tolerated in the Tech section.

i had a milky like substance on the bottom of the oil cap one time but the car has been seating for a long time and oil was not milky and Radiator i clean i does throw white smoke when i start it just like 2 sec and it stop i want to know if i have a bhg

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
What you are noticing is condensation. Clean your PCV system as it might be plugged up with sludge. Worst case is yes.. BHG.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
brake clean most likely, hell at the price i'd just replace it shouldnt be very expensive at all. also take a look at all of the components of the system including condition of the hoses and what not, look for cracks / hardness / tears. if any of the above replace. blow some air through it, attach an air nozzle with it set to some low pressure like 10psi probably even a little less and blow air through it to clear any crap out of it, next check to make sure it only lets air go 1 way, should be a one way valve if i recall, if not replace. shake it, does it rattle? if not replace. most of these will fix a pcv system problem so just take the time and look into that. otherwise check the side of the engine and look for some stains, look at the condition of the coolant, is there any weirdness to it, such as a mixture or change in color. if its brown, your system might be rusting lol or you just have really old coolant in the system. hows your oil? milky at all, do an oil change. take a good look at it. compression test it, see if you get at least i think the spec was 125-118 psi? i forget, just check all across the board and make sure you dont have a 15%-20% difference, if you say get 120psi on cylinders 1,2,3,5,6 but 4 is 90psi i'd start asking questions, but this still doesnt label it as a BHG it could be somthing else "piston rings, valves not seating, blah blah blah" but other problems have other symptoms. if the BHG is bad enough like mine was it will basically kill the spark lol and you will hear the difference in your exhaust system it putts :) tell us all of your symptoms, do the tests, then get back to us and we will tell you if its bad news or good news

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
blow some air through it, attach an air nozzle with it set to some low pressure like 10psi probably even a little less and blow air through it to clear any crap out of it,
Very good way to blow the seals. Removing the valve covers and cleaning the baffles would be a better option.

next check to make sure it only lets air go 1 way, should be a one way valve if i recall, if not replace. shake it, does it rattle? if not replace.
where is this check valve on the 7m? have you seen it?

Compression test should be above 128psi with no more then 14psi difference between any of the cylinders. 142psi or above is ideal

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
northwestsupra;1357726 said:
brake clean most likely, hell at the price i'd just replace it shouldnt be very expensive at all. also take a look at all of the components of the system including condition of the hoses and what not, look for cracks / hardness / tears. if any of the above replace. blow some air through it, attach an air nozzle with it set to some low pressure like 10psi probably even a little less and blow air through it to clear any crap out of it, next check to make sure it only lets air go 1 way, should be a one way valve if i recall, if not replace. shake it, does it rattle? if not replace. most of these will fix a pcv system problem so just take the time and look into that. otherwise check the side of the engine and look for some stains, look at the condition of the coolant, is there any weirdness to it, such as a mixture or change in color. if its brown, your system might be rusting lol or you just have really old coolant in the system. hows your oil? milky at all, do an oil change. take a good look at it. compression test it, see if you get at least i think the spec was 125-118 psi? i forget, just check all across the board and make sure you dont have a 15%-20% difference, if you say get 120psi on cylinders 1,2,3,5,6 but 4 is 90psi i'd start asking questions, but this still doesnt label it as a BHG it could be somthing else "piston rings, valves not seating, blah blah blah" but other problems have other symptoms. if the BHG is bad enough like mine was it will basically kill the spark lol and you will hear the difference in your exhaust system it putts :) tell us all of your symptoms, do the tests, then get back to us and we will tell you if its bad news or good news

Dude - there is no PCV valve on a 7M...the throttle body uses a TB orifice. You should know better than making a statement like that :3d_frown:

Here's the TSRM depiction of the orifice...very often it does need to be cleaned:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=EC&P=5

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Also, as a side note, many new cars run MHG's STOCK, so if he doesn't want to do it, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE as he doesn't have the skill to do it.

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
johnsf32;1357127 said:
i had a milky like substance on the bottom of the oil cap one time but the car has been seating for a long time and oil was not milky and Radiator i clean i does throw white smoke when i start it just like 2 sec and it stop i want to know if i have a bhg

believe me thats how my bhg started , i thought i was going to getting away with it but my motor ended up with bhg, and by the way you dont really have to have milky stuff to blow it up.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
ahhhh i apologize for all that info above, it was posted at about 3am and i work on alot of cars lol, ignore all of what was posted, but do check compression at least, just different specs, i was pulling those out of my ass like i said. when i was saying to blow air through i was talking on a pcv valve type car, and to pull out the actuall hose off the valve cover to air filter and take out the valve its self, spray it blow it, then same with the valve itself, but yea in the case of 7m world we dont got that crap, but i guess i was thinking of more pullling off the the system on top of the valve cover the 2 stupid rubber hoses and metal part that goes to the TB, just pull that off as 1 assembly and blow air through, not while the whole thing was attached. thats where i was trying to get, and about not using the compressed air to blow it clean, read that tsrm thats exactly what it says, it says to use soluvent but i said brake clean.