Headgasket Prep advice

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Ok, so for a while now i've been having coolant problems left and right (waterpump failed twice, thermostat needed replacing, bottom radiator hose broke, heatercore failed etc).

Now i have been slowly gathering parts to do a headgasket because i know thats next. It's been done before by the Original owner (i'm the 6th) but they used a stock headgasket and bolts (i have a book of reciepts from him). Sooo... I turned the boost all the way down to make it last me a while its my DD. So i've been making a list of what i need and what i got.

1. I have an HKS 1.2mm headgasket used. (I've read about cleaning it and using copper spray on it and all that good stuff).
2. ARP Head studs (going to order them soon).
3. Sending 1 of 2 heads i have in my shed to get plained(sp?) and replace valve stem seals and obviously check if i can still use it.
4. Turbo Rebuild kit from DM (Oil in my intercooler piping)
5. Valve cover seals and bolts from DM (just want to replace while its all out).
6. Maybe, get some new intercooler piping (i don't like old 20yr old pipes).

One of my friends told me to get a Gasket kit for it. But i'm not sure if i even want to buy one as i don't think i'll need everysingle gasket on there. What would you guys do? My budget is around 500-600 bucks. right now, i'm at 415ish. I know i'll need to buy misc hoses and such from toyota.

Would you guys buy the gasket set? Or use the list i have going on? I know things come up while doing the project but am i missing anything big? I want to do this in one weekend which is why i'm getting everything together now. I'm waiting for it to blow up on me so i can just park it and get to work.

Let me know what you think and if i should add to the list... Thanks all!

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I'd get the *Toyota brand* gasket kit, you will easily use 90% of what comes in the kit. It's slightly less bang for your buck since you won't be using the head gasket but most of the other stuff will go to good use.

Setting the goal for a successful completion in one weekend with no block work for a used MHG is going to be pretty tough if you've never done it before.

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Well this is the 2nd Headgasket job ive done. This is the first where i re-use the headgasket. I think i am going to go with a gasket kit, i think i'm gonna go with the one from DM.

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
mkIIIman089;1335211 said:
I don't see one on DM...

Regardless if it isn't Toyota, I recommend against it.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-new7menginegasketset.php

Thats the one from driftmotion :). Thats the only one i was looking at. I looked on ebay but am afraid i'll get some sh*t gaskets. But yea, thanks for the advice i think i will buy a gasket kit just so i won't have to run back and forth to the store trying to get some gaskets and end up having to order them like i usually do.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok, let me get this straight...this is the 2nd BHG on this motor, you want to reuse the HKS MHG that blew the 1st time, and you are not going to deck the block (again).

You are going to rebuild the turbo yourself with a DM kit.

Do I have all this right?

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
jdub;1335534 said:
Ok, let me get this straight...this is the 2nd BHG on this motor, you want to reuse the HKS MHG that blew the 1st time, and you are not going to deck the block (again).

You are going to rebuild the turbo yourself with a DM kit.

Do I have all this right?

No no no this is a gasket from the motor that came with my brothers car when he bought it. The turbo i'm not sure if i want to rebuild it myself i was told it's not that hard just time consuming so i thought i would attempt it.

Or do you think i should buy a working used one and send the original one out for a rebuild?

EDIT* Forgot to mention, i don't know if the block was decked the first time...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
1. You yourself CANNOT rebuild a turbo as I know you don't have the machines

2. Never expect to use a certain thickness headgasket untill AFTER motor work is done

3. You will need so many gaskets it will make you want to shit all over yourself!

4. Thinking you can build a turbo is epic fail

5. This thread is fail

6. Your doing a headgasket with obviously no edging idea what you're doing

7. I just bit into some ice cream and realized I have like 4 sensitive teeth!

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
1. You yourself CANNOT rebuild a turbo as I know you don't have the machines
Your right, was way in over my head.

2. Never expect to use a certain thickness headgasket untill AFTER motor work is done

Well, i know i need to know a certain thickness but for now the hks one was the one i was going to use. If i need a thicker one, i'll buy one i just want to gather most of what i'll need now.

3. You will need so many gaskets it will make you want to shit all over yourself!

Which is why i was asking if i should get a gasket kit. Which i'm going to get now. I hate running back and forth to pep boys...

4. Thinking you can build a turbo is epic fail

Ok again, your right.

5. This thread is fail

Sorry..

6. Your doing a headgasket with obviously no edging idea what you're doing

Which is why im asking for help and what i'll need... Hence this thread but ok, i might've asked TOO soon.

7. I just bit into some ice cream and realized I have like 4 sensitive teeth!

Sucks :biglaugh:

Ok now we can let this thread die i guess?

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
This thread is not *fail*, You asked because you didnt know. The other guys that love to chime in and say Fail...well..They asked dumb questions at one point but now they know everything soo..

PErsonally on the turbo the cheapest route is to send DM yours as a core and get a new rebuilt one from them.. yeah it goes over your budget, but even getting one rebuilt locally with the kit from DM will still put you at about or more than DM wants with a core exchange.

No way in hell I would spend $400 on a gasket kit from the dealer.. Get your gasket kit you want and go back to a dealer and get the ones you need in metal, the gasket kit you buy will most likely provide you with some gaskets that should be metal but instead are fiber... Youll see when you take it apart. even buying those gaskets from the dealer and your kit youll still come in under $400, way under.

If this is your daily, why dont you get a new OEM HG and just torque it down to the new rating. Along with new bolts of course.. To use that HKS you have properly your going to need more than a basic planeing of the cyl head it has to be super fine almost lke glass, the block too. But even with a Stock HG you NEED to get your block checked! and decked if necessary.

My advice get your HG done and your turbo, replace gaskets you need too and keep driving it.

When you want a really nice motor get a spare 7m or whatever you prefer, and build it right.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
People dont say "fail" etc etc because they are full of themselves, they say it because theres obviously a serious lack of research on this guys part, and this stuff has been talked about over and over, in fact it may be one of the most discussed things on the board. Granted theres no reason to be rude or anything, but for the OP just do some research and from experience, expect the worst possible outcome when you start pulling it apart. Think of all the different things that could be wrong..what if you pull it apart and the head is pitted beyond usability, what if the block is, you're screwed basically unless you're prepared for that kind of thing. Thing of all the possibilities and i bet you the most random out there stupid thing will be messed up...lol maybe i am just angry with my luck on stuff like that.

T-MA71

Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Yea, ok ill do some more research but...

Did you even read my first post? I said i am using 1 of 2 heads i have laying around.

Basically my questions were if i was missing anything on that list, and if i would be better off getting a gasket kit just to do the hg.

We can let this thread die, my fault for even bringing it up i got my answers. Thanks!

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
steveaw11;1335576 said:
No way in hell I would spend $400 on a gasket kit from the dealer.. Get your gasket kit you want and go back to a dealer and get the ones you need in metal, the gasket kit you buy will most likely provide you with some gaskets that should be metal but instead are fiber... Youll see when you take it apart. even buying those gaskets from the dealer and your kit youll still come in under $400, way under.

You got ripped off BAD if you paid $400 for the Toyota kit, or whoever you know that did, got ripped off. LOL. $260ish bucks, and worth it for the time/effort saved over trying to cheap out and not buying it because it's "too expensive". Yes, it's more expensive than auto-parts store junk, for a VERY good reason.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
mkIIIman089;1335746 said:
You got ripped off BAD if you paid $400 for the Toyota kit, or whoever you know that did, got ripped off. LOL. $260ish bucks, and worth it for the time/effort saved over trying to cheap out and not buying it because it's "too expensive". Yes, it's more expensive than auto-parts store junk, for a VERY good reason.

I didnt and wont, but Id like to see a receipt on your "260"ish price. thats BS and I know it.

I get a club discount through my dealer and his prices beat everyones Ive ever checked, including online at 1sttoyotaparts.com and Jeff at Champion in Texas, If my guy says they are over $400 they are.

Some of the Toyota gaskets are good yes, alot of them are just as good as some other brands, you just got to know not to choose an off the wall ebay never heard of brand.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
steveaw11;1335783 said:
I didnt and wont, but Id like to see a receipt on your "260"ish price. thats BS and I know it.

Depends on what gasket set you're talking about...the complete engine set is pushing $400. The complete head gasket set is around $260 last I checked. The FelPro sets seem to be pretty good, you don't want to use the EGR cooler gasket though...I prefer Toyota cam seals and exhaust manifold gasket as well. I agree with Colin, the Toyota HG kit is the way to go, and it includes a HG.

Guys - T-MA71 did do some research, otherwise he would have not known that a MHG can be reused. The flaming really was not necessary...he's not being a dick (even after getting flamed) and acting like he's gods gift to cars like some of the noobs do. Help the guy and keep the flame comments to yourself.

T-MA71 - The reason I asked about the HKS MHG is it's the most stringent when it comes to the head/block surface smoothness (RA spec) required. If the block does not meet a 30 RA, it may not seal resulting in another BHG. I was thinking this is what happened on the 1st HG job. Stripping off all the old Viton and using copper spray may raise that requirement a bit, but the head/block decks must be very smooth. If you are not going to have the block resurfaced, it's a better option to use a OEM composite HG IMO. If you do decide to use the stock HG, give it a couple coats of copper spray before you lay it down on the block...use the index pins for alignment.

Keep in mind a 1.2mm MHG is going to raise cylinder compression, even more so if much material is removed from the head. Stock HG thickness is 1.37mm compressed. If you want to keep stock compression, you have to add the material removed to that stock thickness. It would be wise for you to check the heads you have to see if they have already been decked....a stock, unmolested head is 116mm thick from the deck to the cam cover surface. I would also have the head hardness tested to make sure it's not annealed from a previous overheat.

ARP studs are a good choice, but make very sure you use the torque spec on the sheet that comes with them. FYI - it's 80 ft/lbs using moly for lube. Studs screw in finger tight on the block...you will need to chase the block holes before screwing them in. Use the TSRM torque pattern and don't forget to apply RTV at the 2 locations on top of the rear timing cover shown in the TSRM.

Read this to set proper preload on the studs...click on "using a torque wrench" on the left:
http://www.arp-bolts.com/Tech/TechInstall.html

Rebuilding a turbo yourself is not a good idea. Take it to a qualified shop...you can take the DM kit with you.