header

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
i have a 88 7mge and i was just wondering if a obx header is worth it. its about 200 and i think it would free up the exhaust a little. i know that im not turbo and any amount of power gains would be great for a n/a.

87MK111Supra

Jan 19, 2009
San Diego
I'm running with an NA and a pacesetter header. I say that you should go for it if you plan on keeping the 7m. I have 2.5" catback with the header so it sounds real nice without being cop attracting. You will feel some power increase and even fuel efficiency too. Nothing too major but I'd say 1 or 2 mpgs for me atleast.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You might gain a little and make it sound better but that could also be 200 towards a turbo swap.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
sometimes there's no need to go turbo, I have an intake, headers and MSD ignition ready to go on my 86.5..

I love how fast my 89 is after the turbo swap, but I see no need to do it to my others..

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
87MK111Supra;1621843 said:
I'm running with an NA and a pacesetter header. I say that you should go for it if you plan on keeping the 7m. I have 2.5" catback with the header so it sounds real nice without being cop attracting. You will feel some power increase and even fuel efficiency too. Nothing too major but I'd say 1 or 2 mpgs for me atleast.

i have a 2.5 catback now and i could tell some difference with that now. i think im going to get the obx wich i believe is the copy of the pacesetter but it is stainless steel .isnt the only modification is that you have to extend the O2 sensor wire? haha any lil gas mpg or hp is always good.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

how do you survive owning 3 supras. i feels like i spend enough on just my one?
what does the msd ignition help with?

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

that last one was towards razoE

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

hvyman;1621844 said:
You might gain a little and make it sound better but that could also be 200 towards a turbo swap.

well i bought a complete 7mgte to rebuild and then realized the big bucks that i was about to put out. so i sold a few parts and made my money back. going to do the swap when i have alot of xtra cash down the road.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Needboost;1621862 said:
how do you survive owning 3 supras. i feels like i spend enough on just my one?
what does the msd ignition help with?

well i bought a complete 7mgte to rebuild and then realized the big bucks that i was about to put out. so i sold a few parts and made my money back. going to do the swap when i have alot of xtra cash down the road.

It isn't cheap at all, I buy little things here and there for the Supras and the xB, I don't have to but honestly it calms me down and is soothing working on the cars for some reason..

as for the MSD, it provides a stronger spark, combined with the 9.5mm wires i have for it, it should make a bit more power, if not total but within the powerband..

87MK111Supra

Jan 19, 2009
San Diego
When I bought mine there was an O2 sensor welded in on pipe 3 I believe so there was no problem there. However i do think you have to extend it if it is down by the CAT.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The Pacesetter was a crap design. I had two of them- one in black painted and one in ceramichrome.
When the black one was installed, the mechnic found that the collector at the bottom necked-down internally to about 1.25 inches across!
He cut it out and fabbed a new collector for me. The o2 bung at the bottom was too tall, and the sensor would not be in the exhaust stream at all.
Anyway, that header rusted out in less than a year. I went with the ceramichrome version after that, with the same modifications, and heat-wrapped it.
lasted till I went turbo(4+ years), and then sold it. Power gain was slight. Hopefully the OBX is a better design, as far as how the pipes join up at the collector.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
RazoE;1621968 said:
It isn't cheap at all, I buy little things here and there for the Supras and the xB, I don't have to but honestly it calms me down and is soothing working on the cars for some reason..

as for the MSD, it provides a stronger spark, combined with the 9.5mm wires i have for it, it should make a bit more power, if not total but within the powerband..

RazoE, the MSD doesn't give you a stronger spark unless you have a hotter coil. The MSD "Multi Spark Discharge" actully fires 5 sparks per cycle in stead of the single spark. Seen it on an ignition scope at a shop i worked at years ago. Was pretty cool to see it working.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
All MSD systems switch to single fire at higher rpms, IIRC.
They may help with emissions and efficiency at low rpms.

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
supraguy@aol;1621992 said:
The Pacesetter was a crap design. I had two of them- one in black painted and one in ceramichrome.
When the black one was installed, the mechnic found that the collector at the bottom necked-down internally to about 1.25 inches across!
He cut it out and fabbed a new collector for me. The o2 bung at the bottom was too tall, and the sensor would not be in the exhaust stream at all.
Anyway, that header rusted out in less than a year. I went with the ceramichrome version after that, with the same modifications, and heat-wrapped it.
lasted till I went turbo(4+ years), and then sold it. Power gain was slight. Hopefully the OBX is a better design, as far as how the pipes join up at the collector.[/QUOTE

by doing that to the collecor did he put a new place to put the O2 sensor. cause i notice hat the neck of where th O2 sensor is at is pretty high. or can you plug that. and drill a hole at a flat spot on one of the tubes on the header for the sensor to to fit in the drill 2 small holes to bolt it to it?

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
so back to the question. im about to send him the mone and wondering if i should go ahead and get it. i hope that it will give me a lil gain but dont want to waste my money need yalls true true opinion here plus it will look alot better than the rusted sock manifold. unless someone wants to give me a 7mgte.lol

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
well i got my obx headers the other day and finally got to put them on. took about 4 hours to do because i had to do some customizing. the end towards the front was hitting the distributor mount so i took it back off to see the different measurement. well it had about 1/4 more material there than it should so i had to cut the excess off so that it would get pass the mount and grid till it fit perfectly. also had the cut some at the bottom of the header so that the collector would connect evenly. then had to do the usual extension of the the O2 sensor. over all had a good time doing it makes it look alot beter than a rusty old one. and can truly notice a difference at low and top end and exhaust tone. glad i did it. but it was def not a direct bolt up!!! so if yall get one be ready to do a little cutting and other things.