Headaches from a perfect car??!!

7mgte808

Oct 26, 2006
Honolulu
I just bought a 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo in "perfect" near-stock condition and was the second owner. Body had no dings or dents, paint was immaculate, and the interior was as if it was just purchased condition. It had new Tokiko blue shocks and I had the piece of mind it was owned by an old man. Even the engine bay was clean as hell. After I picked it up for $4,500 the person informed me that the A/c needed recharging, which was no big deal to me. I had big plans for the car and a decent amount of money to start: $2,000. Little by little the money went down:

-New brakes: calipers, rotors, and brake lines as well as pads
-Clutch master and slave had to replaced
-"Alleged" Overheating problem: New Koyo radiator was purchased, radiator cap and thermostat turned out to be the engine damage

The real nail in the coffin was finding out that my engine was damaged quite possibly either BHG or cracked block. The previous owner replaced the HG, however. I also found out that even though I was technically the third owner, the previous owner didnt transfer over the title to their name and therefore I face $60.00 in back taxes:icon_evil

I dont know what it could be, I love my Supra and owned it for two weeks, but I'm down to nothing. I didnt even install my Koyo i just bought today:3d_frown:

I live in an apartment and dont have the luxury of an open garage or tools, so I'm quite possibly thinking of selling.

Such a bummer, I already was poised to buy HKS exhaust, downpipe, boost controller and Tein Suspension as a starting point, now that is scratched...

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
You learned a hard lesson. Why did you have to replace the entire brake system? I've never heard of that happening. Find a REPUTABLE mechanic and keep chugging along. I hope this car isn't your daily driver.

Good luck!

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
Its rare to find a mechanical sound 19 year old car for 4,500.

When I bought mine I had all sorts of intermitted problem and had to buy a new wire harness, then the A/C was acting funny and little leaks here and there. The owner told me it was retrofitted, YEAH RIGHT. More like they put R134 in it and only changed the schrader valves. Oil leaks, exhaust leaks, I mean everything started popping up within two months of owning the car.

I just didnt give up and when I get her on the road again it will be a REALLY fun car and more respected by myself for accomplishing what I thought was a nightmare at first.

DON'T GIVE UP!

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Zach said:
You learned a hard lesson. Why did you have to replace the entire brake system? I've never heard of that happening. Find a REPUTABLE mechanic and keep chugging along. I hope this car isn't your daily driver.

Good luck!
i would assume it would be because the car probably sat for a while and rusted through and seized everything. I know mine did that :nono:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Buying cars in great shape from old people who never pushed them is a recipie for disaster, especially if you plan on driving it hard.

Think for a minute here - they never stressed the car. So what happens when you get in and floor the throttle, punish the brakes, and hammer the suspension? Everything that was weak but holding on due to the mellow driver suddenly buckles like a cheap tent, and you're left with the bill.

I always expect to put $5k into an old car that I purchase. Most of that will simply be maintenance.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
If you have a nice clean body and nice clean interior then you're doing good. Don't let the mechanical get you down. It's easier to fix that than repairing body damage, rust, and worn ragged interiors. I drove a bunch of real ragged out dogs that ran good but finally bought a 89 N/A with a rod knock because it had a real nice body and interior. I'm currently in the midst of some engine replacement issues but it will eventually run like a top. Hang in there and don't sell it. Please post some pictures of it. I would love to see it as would everyone else I'm sure.

Last edited:

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Fixing things add up quite nicley don't they.

I bought my supra and havn't HAD to do ONE thing to it yet. That doesn't mean i havn't put 7K plus into it!

So why dont you sell the radiator if you don't need it?

7mgte808

Oct 26, 2006
Honolulu
Appreciate all your support, but I'm kind of screwed right now. Have no clue if it is the HG, cracked block or deck...none of the repair shops are open today and this car is my daily driver. I'm in the middle of being super salty and also depressed. Well, at least my car is clean ahah

Aaron J Williams

Make It So!!!
Jul 23, 2006
Luck, Wisconsin
Cracked block seems a bit unlikely to me. More likely it's a blown headgasket or cracked head. The headgasket job isn't too bad to do and if the head is bad I can almost guarantee someone here has a good head for sale. Grimjack is right on about pampered cars, as soon as they get stressed they show their weaknesses. It's just your car's way of telling you it needs some lovin! Or possibly testing your devotion, or seeing how far it can push you, or being an evil ungrateful bitch! Oh sorry, we're not talking about MY car here.

:icon_evil

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
7mgte808 said:
I was thinking if its a cracked head or block to just say screw it and drop a 1jz...but isn't that expensive?

Going 1jz isn't the answer for everything.

Take your time, replace the head gasket, possibly the head. I DOUBT its the block thats cracked. Youll be pleased with the results.

Once you get teh first mont hof quircks figured out, and if you take car of the car, the car will take care of you!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
yeah, I mean come on...its a 7m. I would bet you dollars to donuts its a simple BHG. Dont freak out, its probably alot better off than half the cars owned by SM members.

RE-replacing a head gasket is not the easiest job in the world but its not the hardest either. At worst its a couple of days in the parking lot of your apt. You can just do a toyota gasket with ARP's and you should be fine for a long while.

Once you get it working you will have a nice looking comfortable car on which to build.