Head unit wont fit 100%

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
so i install my head unit. pretty straight forward. I go to put the rubber thing that covers everything back on and it seems like it needs to be cut a little bit for my head unit to fit??.. right now it wont go on properly (the rubber)
has anyone run into this or any suggestions? i'll try to post pictures tomorrow when there's light.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Yes it happens. just trim the "rubber" and it will open and close without problems. you wont be able to see the "cut" part.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
WTF???? Unless you have some cheap ass piece of shit no name headunit it should fit just fine.

If you trim the rubber it will look like ass and you will be able to see it (again, unless you have some cheap ass no name piece of shit)

What make/model do you have?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
^ My piece of shit no name Eclipse didn't fit. i didnt feel creative that day to carve out an ass shaped hole near my head unit so i just cut off a slim very straight piece on the right side.

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
You all are leaving the trim for the radio off right! the face of the unit will fit right between the sides of the dash trim. That could be the only reason it wont fit. I have never had a problem like that. You using the stock side brackets or a dash kit. A dash kit could cause the dash not to fit right.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
BoostJunkie;1394293 said:
You all are leaving the trim for the radio off right! the face of the unit will fit right between the sides of the dash trim. That could be the only reason it wont fit. I have never had a problem like that. You using the stock side brackets or a dash kit. A dash kit could cause the dash not to fit right.

Stock brackets, no trim, no fit.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Pernilongo;1394256 said:
^ My piece of shit no name Eclipse didn't fit. i didnt feel creative that day to carve out an ass shaped hole near my head unit so i just cut off a slim very straight piece on the right side.

What model? I have installed three different models of eclipse radios into my Supra with no issues what so ever.

Matter of fact I've installed about 20 different radios into various supras with not a single problem.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
mine's a sony.. i got it to fit.. i just kinda REALLY squeezed it in.. (i didnt use any plastic trim or anything. i did get the dash install kit though for the little compartment under the head unit and i cant get that front plate of it to fit. (its too big to squeeze in)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I think it all depends on the bezel...my new bezel I didn't have to trim but the old one I did...my "shitty" kenwood wouldn't open with the old bezel untill I trimmed the top lip off.

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
Kevin;1394424 said:
mine's a sony.. i got it to fit.. i just kinda REALLY squeezed it in.. (i didnt use any plastic trim or anything. i did get the dash install kit though for the little compartment under the head unit and i cant get that front plate of it to fit. (its too big to squeeze in)

There is a seperate pocket available to use with the stock brackets. Looks alot better with a better fit.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
gaboonviper85;1394477 said:
I think it all depends on the bezel...my new bezel I didn't have to trim but the old one I did...my "shitty" kenwood wouldn't open with the old bezel untill I trimmed the top lip off.

Don't use the bezel! Just because a part is in the box doesn't mean you have to use it with every installation. There's thousands of different cars out there, the manufacturer tries to provide you with the parts to make it look good in the majority. If you don't use the cage, you shouldn't use the trim ring (Not a rule, just a guideline)

BoostJunkie;1394576 said:
There is a seperate pocket available to use with the stock brackets. Looks alot better with a better fit.

Kevin;1394581 said:
what seperate pocket? i did use the stock mounting plates too..

You can get one from metra or toyota. they're anywhere from 10-20 dollars.

Go to the local stereo shop next to you and ask for a toyota pocket.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Kevin;1394424 said:

Sounds like you got the Metra shitbum version. they have a few other versions with pockets instead of the plate.