Head stud question....

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
Quick question...

After letting the car sit for a year.. I decided to finally get this car going again.

I went to thread in my ARP studs (bought from a member here so no instruction sheet)... When threaded in the block, hex hole on the top of the stud, there is roughly 1/4" of threads above the deck surface of the block. I figured it could be dirty threads... but every hole is the same. Just to make sure, I snugged them with a wrench (will back them off and go back to finger tight only) and they were all bottomed out.

Do I have the wrong studs or is this common?

Every set of ARP studs I've used on other builds, they thread completely into the block and the smooth portion of the stud is at the deck surface.

Anyways.. I did search a bit and I found one person saying it was normal... but wanted to verify.

Thanks!

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Yes the threads do come above the block. The OEM head bolt threads are not shown above the block but the ARP head studs do. Here is a picture from my build but keep in mind I have a 2.0 mhg on the block as well and I did clean all my threads with the proper tap. You also have to install the studs finger tight but double check them to make sure they are seated.

Attachments

• 20170522_182139.jpg
    20170522_182139.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 17

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
plaaya69;2094972 said:
Yes the threads do come above the block. The OEM head bolt threads are not shown above the block but the ARP head studs do. Here is a picture from my build but keep in mind I have a 2.0 mhg on the block as well and I did clean all my threads with the proper tap. You also have to install the studs finger tight but double check them to make sure they are seated.

Thanks bud! Looks identical to mine. Hopefully I can get the head back on today.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
Well.. another problem.

Got the head put on... studs and washers in... however half the nuts that came with my studs are a different OD. Roughly 6 have a larger OD (same thread size and socket size) but they wont fit in the head. The flange on the nut is slightly larger and it hits the casting on the head.. not letting it thread on (wont let it line up with the stud).

Can I safely turn these nuts down a bit or do I need new ones? If I need new ones, does anyone have the part number for the correct ones? I see I can buy the nuts no problem... but don't want to end up getting the ones that are too big.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
NVM... I just turned them down so they all matched and put em' in. Head is on and torqued to 90ft. lbs. (in 20lb increments). I'll let it sit overnight and retorque.