Head replaced and reassembled engine at Toyota dealer some 10 years ago

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
Hello, I recently purchased a 1991 turbo supra. The previous owner kept all maintenance paper work and service records. All the documents were transferred to me. Today, I was looking through the paperwork and found a $2,500 bill for a head gasket replacement procedure at a Toyota dealer in Washington that dated back to late 2001. The vehicle at the time had 80,000 miles. Today it has 106,000. My question is, was Toyota aware of the incorrect torquing of the head gasket in the year of 2001? Did they re torque the new head gasket correctly or to the same amount of torque as they did in its production days? I see no symptoms of a blown head gasket in my supra at the moment. Is my supra a ticking time bomb?

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
i didnt have luck setting washers/nuts over my arp studs without lifting the cyl head up to the tip of the stud (when assembling my motor) so unless you want to replace the headgasket to a mhg...and if youre keeping it near stock levels, id just buy new factory bolts, lube them up and replace 1 at a time while torquing in sequence.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Block threads need to be chased as the ARP's go deeper into 20 years of gloop/corrosion.

If that wasn't a factor it's fairly simple to install studs into an assembled engine, you remove the factoy bolt use a magnet to remove the washer then drop the ARP Washer in with some Moly lube to hold it in place, then you drop a Stud in and do it up using an Allen key to finger tight followed by the Nut.

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
The same thing happened to me. Was going thru my receipts and found one for $3500.00 from a toyota dealership that fixed a bhg on my car and put a brand new head on. and my head gasket blew two months ago and I had to get a whole new long block. cost $5000.00 for the new engine and to have it installed. Go arp and save yourself

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
Well its settled, arp bolts and studs are in order. I appreciate all the info guys. I'm just kinda shocked that toyoda was never able to fix its own error..

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
connor.stephens;1756851 said:
The same thing happened to me. Was going thru my receipts and found one for $3500.00 from a toyota dealership that fixed a bhg on my car and put a brand new head on. and my head gasket blew two months ago and I had to get a whole new long block. cost $5000.00 for the new engine and to have it installed. Go arp and save yourself

how I got a long block for 50 bucks and did the work my self new pistons rings bearing and stock rods. I could do so much with 5k you got raped on price.

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
mine had new everything they also replaced the timing belt and water pump. I needed mine back because its my daily driver. and mine has a Warranty so if anything breaks it gets fixed for free...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
caballo;1756857 said:
Well its settled, arp bolts and studs are in order. I appreciate all the info guys. I'm just kinda shocked that toyoda was never able to fix its own error..

IJ.;1756779 said:
Block threads need to be chased as the ARP's go deeper into 20 years of gloop/corrosion.

If that wasn't a factor it's fairly simple to install studs into an assembled engine, you remove the factoy bolt use a magnet to remove the washer then drop the ARP Washer in with some Moly lube to hold it in place, then you drop a Stud in and do it up using an Allen key to finger tight followed by the Nut.

Bold

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
Sorry IJ, I am not too familiar with any type engine work that requires extensive disassembly. Correct me if I am wrong, but from my understanding of your instructions the engine block has threads that need to be chased? Meaning all the threads for the bolts need to be cleaned out or re-drilled? As far as the placing of the ARP's, I don't really know how to the ARP method works. I'll have to do research..

Most likely I will have to settle with a shop, such as driftmotion, or kaizen motorsports, to do the work for me due to the simple fact that I do not own a garage nor a wide variety of tools yet. Once I own a garage, there's no telling what I'll do to my 7m.

Thank again for the help.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^ this, dont take it any further unless you plan on pulling the head.

Two main issues to consider. You cant properly bottom tap and clean the threads with the head on. More importantly... removing one stud/bolt at a time is begging for some head warping which = BHG.

Do a standard re tq and leave it alone.