head problem need advice

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
before you guys stop reading i know this has been sorta covered before and its in the wrong section but i tried posting in the head gasket thickness sticky and no response

my head has already been shaved .020 and will probably need another .015 to get smooth thats almost 1mm that i have to make up really can't pull the block right now nor do i want to if i run a composite gasket with that much material removed will it even work or will i run into clearance issues, also what about my timing and compression ratio?? i know it sounds crazy but is there a way to bond two composite gaskets together???

im not looking for smart ass comments just need help and advice so i can possibly get the car running for a short period of time so i can get it somewhere to pull the block to do it right

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It'll bump the comp a little, there are online comp calculators around if you're concerned.

Might need to run better fuel to keep it out of detonation, 3 composite HG's were done in the old days no problems but it's a HUGE drop in compression and makes the car a SLUG off boost.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
i have sitting in front of me a afc neo zetronics wideband kit data logger 255 pump afpr kit for fuel but 1mm diff is a lot thats going to put me up to almost 9:1 i tried using the calculator last night but couldn't get the values right with my figures i need a HG the size around 2.37mm and with two composites it will be 2.74mm i don't care about the sluggishness just rather be on the lower side of the compression ratio scale than the higher to do away with detonation

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
As I said in the old days we used to double up Composites, from memory I used GM headbolt sealer between them, for a long time I ran 3mm MHG's here on a stock Head/Block height and as mentioned it just makes it a bit sluggish off boost.

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
It will be fine.i run na pistons in my 7mgte and have the same amount of material removed from the head and block and a 1.0mm metal hg.Im running 14lbs of boost,No detonation issues and have been driving it that way over a year now.Plus it cuts down lag and improves low end power.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
tomsupra8683;1807290 said:
It will be fine.i run na pistons in my 7mgte and have the same amount of material removed from the head and block and a 1.0mm metal hg.Im running 14lbs of boost,No detonation issues and have been driving it that way over a year now.Plus it cuts down lag and improves low end power.

you have any issues getting the timing right? or you running adjustable cam gears just seems that taking off 1mm of material off the head will get tolerances pretty close does anyone have a clue what my CR would be after that??? I'm hoping still under 9

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
so with running a new composite gasket and .040 removed from the head ill be around 9.1:1 think I'm all set if i run and make two composite HG work ill be at 8.2:1 hmmmmmm

hidenplanvew

Feb 4, 2012
Colorado
I would just run the high compression, it will be nicer off boost.. just take it to a tuner and put the afc on you shouldnt det. if you have a good Air fuel ratio.. sounds like your planing to put it on anyways.. could always bring it up to Johnstown and let Brent tune it, he will get it dead on

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
hidenplanvew;1807322 said:
I would just run the high compression, it will be nicer off boost.. just take it to a tuner and put the afc on you shouldnt det. if you have a good Air fuel ratio.. sounds like your planing to put it on anyways.. could always bring it up to Johnstown and let Brent tune it, he will get it dead on

johnstown is a haul plus id need to clean up a lot of crap on the car before he'd let me put it on a dyno, but it is always an option. id still really want to keep the compression down but that would mean running two composite gaskets for now until i can get to a place where i can actually pull the motor

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I was running 9.1:1 compression basically with material taken off and a 1.2mm cometic MHG for 10,000 miles with absolutely no pinging or detonation issues on 94 octane @ 11psi on a 57-trim CT26 before I sold the car. The engine has been running strong for the new owner who based on the little amount of time I was driving with him pushes it VERY hard.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
radiod;1807393 said:
I was running 9.1:1 compression basically with material taken off and a 1.2mm cometic MHG for 10,000 miles with absolutely no pinging or detonation issues on 94 octane @ 11psi on a 57-trim CT26 before I sold the car. The engine has been running strong for the new owner who based on the little amount of time I was driving with him pushes it VERY hard.

what were you running for fuel mods???

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
same here other than lexus afm and 560cc injectors from a evo.The na-t 2jz runs even higher compression.Maybe all the ethonal in the gas these days helps.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
tomsupra8683;1807713 said:
same here other than lexus afm and 560cc injectors from a evo.The na-t 2jz runs even higher compression.Maybe all the ethonal in the gas these days helps.
whats your timing set at? is it factory or retarded a bit

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I had no problem using factory timing. Like I said before, never had a problem with pinging or detonation. Fuel was the next thing on the list after that was done but just simply didn't get around to doing it before I sold the car. 94 octane Chevron gas ftw :D