head is STUCK!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djazem1

Nov 12, 2007
philly
alright guys im trying to get my head back off to access the rear timing cover. My dumb ass didn't put the washers on my ARP's and when i tqd the head down it rolled the aluminum up against the stud and now i cant get my head off.....i tried removing the studs via Allen key and was successful for the whole intake side and the first exhaust side stud but the rest of the exhaust side studs just stripped the key and the stud it self....i tried lifting it with my engine hoist all that does is jack up my car :nono:.....right now i have the hoist hooked up and jacked it up so it applies a little bit of pressure to the head and sprayed some pb blaster on the studs hoping to wake up tomorrow to a at least budged head haha..... any advice would be great!!

Thanks in advanced

Azem

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
djazem1;1414013 said:
alright guys im trying to get my head back off to access the rear timing cover. My dumb ass didn't put the washers on my ARP's and when i tqd the head down it rolled the aluminum up against the stud and now i cant get my head off.....i tried removing the studs via Allen key and was successful for the whole intake side and the first exhaust side stud but the rest of the exhaust side studs just stripped the key and the stud it self....i tried lifting it with my engine hoist all that does is jack up my car :nono:.....right now i have the hoist hooked up and jacked it up so it applies a little bit of pressure to the head and sprayed some pb blaster on the studs hoping to wake up tomorrow to a at least budged head haha..... nay advice would be great!!

Thanks in advanced

Azem

Ok, first and foremost you need to put the tools down.

I'm not even really sure where to start.

By not using the washers, you've likely fucked up that head badly.

You follow the torque pattern for both tightening AND loosening the bolts. Read the damned manual - it tells you to loosen the bolts gradually in three passes following the torque pattern - see step 18 on the page below:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=39

It even specifically says "Head warpage or cracking could result from removing bolts in the incorrect order."

What you just did (loosening one entire side first) was one of the worst things you can do. The head is likely warped.

The hoist thing is even worse.

At this point I'd say go find someone who has some idea of what they are doing, and how important it is to do things correctly, and get them to help you.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Supracentral;1414043 said:
Ok, first and foremost you need to put the tools down.

I'm not even really sure where to start.

By not using the washers, you've likely fucked up that head badly.

You follow the torque pattern for both tightening AND loosening the bolts.

What you just did (loosening one entire side first) was one of the worst things you can do. The head is likely warped.

The hoist thing is even worse.

At this point I'd say go find someone who has some idea of what they are doing, and how important it is to do things correctly, and get them to help you.

Mike...he has all the nuts off prior too removing the studs....he didn't just undo the nuts from the intake side this much I know...

I've been talking too azem about this for the past 2 weeks and unfortunetly last weekend he had family shit too do so this sat I'll be helping him! I've already informed him that his head is probably better used as a paper weight and well see what turns out after the weekend...he already knows that I have an extra head that he may have too use. Right now the problem is getting the head off by any means!

Sorry about my previous post that you deleted....guess nobody knows that azem lives 10min from me and he knows he can depend on
me too help him so I figured I'd say something funny as I just got off the phone with him trying to come up with a game plan!

And for what it's worth I already told him to put the damn tools down and wait for sat so I can get the head off for him!! Lol

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
This reminds me of when my friend was trying to remove the intake manifold from his IH Travelall....

It was stuck on there pretty good, so he just hooked up a chain around the coolant runner, and looped it over the fork lift we had there in the shop...

Lifted up the front of the Travel All, and then BANG! It snapped the intake manifold in half....

So, what's worse, we brazed the cast iron manifold back together, and then set it up on the mill in his dad's machine shop.. It was running really good along the cast iron, taking off just a skim of metal, and then it reached the much stronger brazed material... BANG@!

There goes a few hundred bucks worth of fly cutter... Dang! His dad was really pissed, but we did manage to get a smooth gasket surface with a grinder... LOL

Later he jumped that massive "Suburban" like vehicle about 50' across a field, and ripped the shocks right out of the frame mounts... Then we put the engine into the radiator crossing a stream.. (Who would have thought 4' deep water would cause a truck going 60mph to stop so quickly? LOL As if jumping the rig would not have done it.. but I think that might have contributed to the engine mounts being ripped loose, so they would allow the engine to fly forward and have the fan cut a neat circle into the radiator...)

OK, so if you have not put down the tools, and step away from the vehicle yet, please do so now. Trust me, you don't want to learn the hard way like my old buddy did. ;)

That being said, easy out's are a great way to remove ARP studs. (They just dig into the allen keys on top, and remove the stud, where the allen has just stripped them. You might need a few gentle taps from a brass hammer to get the easy out into the stripped allen key, but pick one that's a tight fit, and tap it into the hole, then gently remove the stud.)

Good luck.

djazem1

Nov 12, 2007
philly
supra central thanks. for nothing! as tyler stated i am only trying to get the damn thing off now that the head is most likely already messed up i didnt ask u what u thought about what i did but simply what i should do now!

Adjuster thanks! i was talking to tyler and he said the easy out might also work im gonna try it on sat with him

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
djazem1;1414100 said:
supra central thanks. for nothing! as tyler stated i am only trying to get the damn thing off now that the head is most likely already messed up i didnt ask u what u thought about what i did but simply what i should do now!

Adjuster thanks! i was talking to tyler and he said the easy out might also work im gonna try it on sat with him

Might want to take a deep breath and check the attitude spanky, you're damn lucky SupraCentral got to this before I did....

I mean seriously I don't get why so many of you think you can build an engine/work on cars without a idea or even a clue to the basics...:nono:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
IJ.;1414194 said:
Might want to take a deep breath and check the attitude spanky, you're damn lucky SupraCentral got to this before I did....

I mean seriously I don't get why so many of you think you can build an engine/work on cars without a idea or even a clue to the basics...:nono:

He's 17 and wasn't aware that there was plenty of local people with 7m knowledge and willing too help! He has some issues with his build that should have gotten attention sure...but as I've told you before Ian "here in Philly the machine shops will blow smoke up your ass and tell you they can do anything then you get your boat anchor back for $1000"...althouth the 7m is a nice anchor indeed! Cut the kid some slack...I've pointed out many things in his supra that needs attention and sure enough he's starting too listen ;-)

azem is a good guy that just wants his car too run well...I'm more than happy too help him and help him I do fairly often! He got ahead of himself while putting his head back on which I bitched at him for...now he obviously regrets that and understands I wasn't trying too put his work down but too double check everything before it went together...now he knows why I wasn't happy when I found out he assembled the motor without me..

Azem....supracentral's post was as useful as tits on a bull for the most part yes lol....but he is really just trying too stop further damage too your motor...also, supracentral runs this shit so one must really think before he speak lol.

Again guys....at 17 I was busy masturbaiting and smokin pot while azem at 17 is trying too fix his freshly (very expensive) built motor....he got ahead of himself...but ideas would help...I'm scared too snap an ezout in the end of an arp stud...I'll try one but I don't like the idea!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
djazem1;1414100 said:
supra central thanks. for nothing!
Gaboon,
If this is the kind of response I can expect while trying to help him, then I choose not to. More appreciation and less attitude will get him the help he needs.......but smart ass'd responses like the one he posted will get him nothing. Being seventeen isn't an excuse for being a smart ass.

He's lucky to have someone like yourself that's willing to help him locally.

djazem1

Nov 12, 2007
philly
suprahero i didnt want to sound like an ass and i dont need to be flamed because i already no what i did wrong and it is frusturating for me because i fucked up. But i just wanna get this thing done i dont really post up here and dont have a build thread. my engine is fully built on the bottom i have JE .20 over pistons, clevite bearings, eagle forged rods and in the head titanium valve springs, ferrera 990 1mm oversized valves. I am running a 63trim t3 prescision turbo with tial wastegate and mis. other performance parts. i built this car with all my own money and time. I know me being 17 isnt an excuse but when i do all the work myself i no im going to run into problems and fuck some things like i did know but everyone makes mistakes and i just dont feel the need for everyone to flame on me when i already no what i did wrong. thats why i stated in post one that i no im a dumb ass and i fucked something up hoping not to be flamed on so much but i guess thats all ppl can expect on these forums

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
suprahero;1414354 said:
Gaboon,
If this is the kind of response I can expect while trying to help him, then I choose not to. More appreciation and less attitude will get him the help he needs.......but smart ass'd responses like the one he posted will get him nothing. Being seventeen isn't an excuse for being a smart ass.

He's lucky to have someone like yourself that's willing to help him locally.

Azem appreciates the time I spend helping him....plus he has a really hot mom! Sc really wasn't any help and his post was belittleing...now if mike posted something indeed worth a damn then I can promise you azem would show appreciation!

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
gaboonviper85;1414472 said:
Azem appreciates the time I spend helping him....plus he has a really hot mom! Sc really wasn't any help and his post was belittleing...now if mike posted something indeed worth a damn then I can promise you azem would show appreciation!

My post was not "belittling" - It was an honest attempt to get someone to stop doing harm to their vehicle through inexperience and a failure to learn before doing.. We understand you have a real hardon for me as you don't think I'm nice enough. Stop dragging threads off topic with your incessant need to take cheap shots at me.

You want to know what is belittiling? Installing studs without washers deserves derision. Hanging your engine by its cylinder head from an engine hoist to "loosen it up overnight" deserves derision. If you don't want it pointed out that you are doing asinine things, don't do asinine things.

The original post showed that the OP should not be working on an engine without supervision. We've all made mistakes. Not knowing what you are doing is not a mistake. Get over your sense of entitlement. We're not here to kiss your ass, or coddle you when you act like complete idiots.

Get back on topic and stop fucking whining.

djazem1

Nov 12, 2007
philly
alright man i tried to say im sorry about being a dick but you know what im not sorry anymore..... and goddamn these fucking forums cuz everytime someone needs fucking help all you guys do is fucking bull shit and no help thats why i never post on the boards fuck this and fuck U!!

and tyler dont try to back up what im saying cuz i dont want u getting into anything cuz of me

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Since the original poster does not need/want or warrant any help, thread closed.

Take your flamewar elsewhere.

djazem1 gets a week off, because "goddamn these fucking forums cuz everytime someone needs fucking help all you guys do is fucking bull shit and no help thats why i never post on the boards fuck this and fuck U!!" isn't appropriate. When/if you come back, use a little self control.

I think I'll throw this on the wall of shame, since I beleive the contents speak for itself - deleted posts restored for your reference.

severe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.