Head gasket

HKS Metal head gaskit (re-usable?)

• re-use the HKS metal head gaskit

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • buy a brand new one

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • get a different head gaskit

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • head gaskits are useless. Just bolt the head to the block with no head gaskit! (obviously joking her

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
I have an HKS metal head gasket. My question here is if this thing is re-usable? I've been told by one individual that he has re-used them in the past. Is this an ok thing to do or would I just be wasting my time if I tried to re-use the one I have? It looks to be in good shape. If not, I will have to spend the money for a new one. Roughly $400. What do you guys think? The metal HKS head gasket is re-usable, or get a new one?

I do need to stick with a serious head gasket that will support 25+ psi.

Last edited:

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
oops i didn't read the post.. just voted.. reuse the hks if you all ready have it.. if not stocker is fine

why did you take off the head?

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Who needs head gaskets.

If you clean it well and your surfaces are flat and smooth then you should be ok.
Just remember to get all the viton off and coat the mhg with a few layers of copper spray or brake quiet. One thing though, I wouldn't recommend trying to use the mhg more than twice. It doesn't seem to agree after two seals.

On stock boost, no worries. But if you are aiming at about 25lbs, i would suggest a new head gasket. 400 buck is cheap when compared to 400 for a new gasket and whole engine after you blow it.

But if it was me, i would probably reuse it also. 400 bucks is a bit of cash. I might regret it later, but i think i would probably reuse it.

Last edited:

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
TaSe said:
I have a stock 1J headgasket brand new if you want it i can package it up and ship it ASAP.

I have a spare one here from a gasket set I bought for the motor but used an HKS head gasket in it's place though. Thanks for the offer.

Last edited:

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
tissimo said:
oops i didn't read the post.. just voted.. reuse the hks if you all ready have it.. if not stocker is fine

why did you take off the head?

I took the head off for the same reasons your avatar states. (running too hot) I did a dye test and turned out I had either a blown head gasket or a crached head. So I took the head off and there was coolant around my intake valves for cylinder 6 (cracked head). The gaskit itself looks to be fine. To add to that, I found some sand in the head, the cams were gouged and two cylinder walls are gouged. I think the head shop I brought it to left some sand in my head and maybee even cracked it in the process. I'm pretty pissed about the situation. So now I either need to rebuild what I have, or get another 1J. Seeing as 1J's are as cheep as they are, I think I will get another. Then I will transfer everything over to the new motor. This sucks!

Last edited:

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
So some of you think it would be just fine to reuse the HKS GASKET if I strip it and put a few layers of copper spray on it. My question is... What is the best way to remove the rest of the material from the gasket?