Head Gasket?

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
7M4EVR;1974037 said:
you just have to make a choice of what you want to do. Spend a little extra on known, and proven gaskets, and probably not have to worry about it later, or take a chance, get the cheap ones, and possibly spend a bunch of time fixing leaks and troubleshooting when the car is back together and everything is in the way. I don't have any experience with this specific kit, and I'm not saying it wouldnt work fine, just stating the obvious. Then again theres that whole other issue of no matter what gaskets you use there is other important things such as the proper fasteners, torque specs, and using FIPG on assembly exactly where the TSRM tells you to.

Definitely good advice. The two sets I've heard are the best are the Felpro and Ishino. Any suggestions on the both. Definitely staying away from Ebay sets now lol

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
supranewbie;1974076 said:
I'd personally go with Toyota over Felpro. But, as 7M4evr mentioned, a gasket is only as good as the surface prep, the hardware, installation, maintenance and tuning.

Yes! The head gasket will definitely be from Toyota themselves. However I don't think I'd be able to get a full OEM gasket kit from Toyota since my local dealer doesn't even have the HG in stock. The question about the Felpro and Ishino gaskets were regarding the the whole set. The head gasket that comes with either set will NOT be used.

Once again thanks for all the advice. Love the fact that everyone gives great and detailed advice.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
faviles;1974162 said:
However I don't think I'd be able to get a full OEM gasket kit from Toyota since my local dealer doesn't even have the HG in stock.

You have a Supra, get used to nothing being in stock :D

Your local Toyota dealership will be able to get a full gasket kit no problem, you just have to wait a few days to get any parts.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
^ seconded lol

As a matter of fact, I am having to go to the dealership and pick up some stuff I ordered the other day. It generally only takes them 2 days or so to get what you need.

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot. Any idea how much this set will run me? And I would just ask them for a gasket kit right? Or would I have to ask for each gasket separately?