Head Gasket Replacement!

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
I just got my car back from the shop, after a buddy of mine had spent almost a year on it trying to do what he told me he was gonna do. and now come to find out its got another blown head gasket -_- so I decided I was going to do it myself. My plan is for a felpro gasket set and arp head studs, not trying for much extra power so I'm not going to a MHG.

I got the valve covers off, almost got the exhaust manifold off, and have gotten through a few small things, just making slow progress and making sure I label everything. Any tips/suggestions would be great.
The valve covers, top one is the one I cleaned, the bottom is the other before I cleaned it.
p1863948_1.jpg

the intake side valve cover, close up
p1863948_2.jpg

Can tell coolant has been here lol
p1863948_3.jpg

Looking into the plug hole, pretty grimy
p1863948_4.jpg

The oil return line, It was pretty clogged up, I pulled it and flushed it out with a water hose.
p1863948_5.jpg

The CPS before I pulled it out.
p1863948_6.jpg

Maybe I'm overreacting, but this seems like a huge mf deal here.
p1863948_7.jpg

That's as far as I got today, but I don't have work til Wednesday, so I'm plannin on having the majority of it done by then, as long as I don't run into too much trouble getting the cams out.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Yeah, I've seen people running without ANYTHING in front of the turbo, no hose, filter, screen, etc... What was your set up?

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
I've been doing some thinking, how hard is it to pull the motor out and not mess things up? Would it be worth doing so that I can go ahead and have the block milled and go with a mhg? Or since the motor is a GE-T, should I just keep it in, and look for a true turbo motor and build it before swapping it in?

pipelinewill

Nov 17, 2011
vancouver island
how would foreign objects make it past the honey comb metal stuff in the maf? maybe pull your air filter off and see if the maf is all banged up.

i'm working on a head gasket replacement, but my cam journals are not smooth, i have another head but it isn't ported, i'm also trying to figure out weather or not to go with new arp studs or re-use the old arp studs.

Attachments

• supra4.jpg
    supra4.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 25
  • supra3.jpg
    supra3.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 21
  • supra2.jpg
    supra2.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 19
  • supra1.jpg
    supra1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 19

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
Update :

Been working on it, slowly gettin shit taken off, and I'm taking the headbolts off right now. I'm typing this as a break from taking them out, my back is hurting from leaning over the damn engine. But some pictures are coming! :D

Damn bolt rounded out, gotta get that fucker fixed -_-
p1881931_1.jpg

The head's coming off!
p1881931_2.jpg

Finally got er off ;) and in these pictures, the Head gasket is on. I think it may have been torqued incorrectly because some of the head bolts were a lot tougher to break loose than the others, but I honestly don't know.

Cylinder 1
p1881931_3.jpg

Cylinder 2
p1881931_4.jpg

Cylinder 3
p1881931_5.jpg

Cylinder 4
p1881931_6.jpg

Cylinder 5
p1881931_7.jpg

Cylinder 6
p1881931_8.jpg

Where I think may have caused problems :
p1881931_9.jpg

p1881931_10.jpg

p1881931_11.jpg

p1881931_12.jpg

zman

Oct 14, 2012
Washington
hey bud, I was wondering if i have to take the transmission out in order to take out the crankshaft pulley? and not mess with the timing

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
zman;1903048 said:
hey bud, I was wondering if i have to take the transmission out in order to take out the crankshaft pulley? and not mess with the timing

No, you don't have to remove the transmission to take off the Crankshaft pulley.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
Well it's been a while since I've posted any updates. I just recently got the head back from the shop, the 29th of March actually lol.

I have been putting the cam gears and everything back together and was about to put the head on when I noticed something. The gasket doesn't seem to line up right.

p1927454_1.jpg

You can see where the coolant lines, i think that's what they are, the gasket is different than the block. Is that normal, or did I get a wrong gasket?

Here's my head though, nice and shiny!
p1927454_2.jpg

And cleaning out the threads in the head!
p1927454_3.jpg

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
Orion ZyGarian;1867329 said:
It's more than likely that turbo was run without a filter for a while (or at least long enough to suck birds and small children in), then they got the filter later

As it turns out, I was doing a little looking and the accordian pipe had cracked and some of it sucked through.

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
I'm slowly making progress!

I got my intake on, but do I need to put the rtv sealant on the gaskets too? Also starting to get my wiring put in place a little bit

Also, I got my helicoils in, but I'm worried about trying to get the lil tip out, I'm afraid I'm going to miss it and punch a hole through the head into a coolant/oil line. Any suggestions?

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
Some updated pictures, I have gotten a little more progress made since pics.

What size is the bolt that is needed to go in the bracket support hole here? I seem to have lost the bolt that came out of it -___-

Since the pictures I have gotten the plug wiring ran, throttle body installed, and beginning to place the hardlines for the ISCV and the other hardline that goes across the top. I'm just wanting to make sure 100% that I don't hook up anything wrong so that I don't mess anything up after I've come so far.

So far things I have left to do :

New rad hose at bottom of radiator.
Reinstall Charcoal Canister - Although I have been considering the EGR delete block off plates from suprastore.
Turbo support bracket - I seem to have lost mine, if anyone has an extra that I could buy, that'd be great.
Hook up vacuum lines/lines that go to the accordion pipe.
Bolt exhaust to down pipe
Tighten bolt on AC pulley - what's the best way to move the pulley over enough to tighten the belt up?

Also considering a new BOV setup, as a friend of mine was looking at it and told me it's a pretty ghetto setup. I'll get some pictures of it, but I'm almost tempted to just leave it be if I can get it to be reliable, because I leave for school in 2 weeks and am limited on time now. I'll be going to Kansas State University so I'm wanting to take it with me, but I know I'm going to be tight on cash and not sure if I can keep it running, so I might just leave it at my moms with a tarp over it until I know it's good. But I'd rather not honestly haha