head gasket probs/opinions wanted

DMB-87Supra

May 31, 2007
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Basically head gasket went on the engine in my '87 Supra N/A. Bought it with a BHG (had a cracked block as well). Had an '89 engine dropped in, head gasket died on that about a year later. Anyway, when I first got the car, I bought a 2.0mm bead type HKS metal head gasket, ARP head bolts(yeah I know shoulda went with studs..), and Greddy timing belt right off the bat. I was hoping to get the cash together to rip it all apart and rebuild everything before it died. It died before that happened though. So, had the heads pressure tested and shaved(went through 3 sets of heads until I found one that passed pressure testing which they only ended up having to take something like .002" off of if I recall correctly). Anyway, I didn't have the means(no engine stand, truck, money, etc.) to get the block out and decked and neither the heads nor the block were lapped again due to the above. Anyway, I read about some tricks on getting a MHG to seal (like the brake quiet trick and over-torqueing it a bit more than a normal HG would be).

Anyway, fast forwarding a bit. Got it back together yesterday, started it up. It's dumping coolant into the cylinders. Not leaking outside though, but there's a decent amount going into the cylinders which was apparent from the white smoke, a few drops of water under the tailpipe, and the water in the oil... Can't say I'm really surprised, disappointed but I had a gut feeling that was going to happen. I love the car but if you understand the problems I've had with it since I got it(just random stuff) even though I try to stay a few steps ahead of the problems, I just don't have the resources.. Anyway, I drained the oil plan and I plan on ripping it back apart and just putting a regular head gasket on, which leads me to my next few questions.

First of all, has anyone dealt with the Felpro head gaskets? Just wondering if they're good as an OE style replacement. Particularly, this would be the one I'm speaking of: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FEL&MfrPartNumber=9473PT&PartType=100&PTSet=A

I'm going to re-use the ARP head bolts, but I want to make sure I get a decent head gasket that's going to last. I want this done right the first time so I don't have to worry about it again until I have the money to rip the engine apart and drop a stopper-type MHG when I rip it down to rebuild the bottom end at some port in the future. Also, is any type of sealant used on the head gasket, from what I remember nothing is used. Although, I've heard of people replacing head gaskets using everything from shellac(cork gaskets) to Permatex. Finally, one last quick question is what would probably be the best to clean that brake quiet off the block/heads? I have quite a few solvents out there (acetone, toluene, MEK, brake cleaner, etc.) Not sure what would be the best for that, although I'm guessing the brake cleaner would work just fine. Anyway, any responses would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Brake clean and ellbo grease...
Felpro is about as good as you can get for gaskets..
If you can aford a stopper head gasket it prob would seal just fine.. @ 300+ bucks tho
You need to get a strait edge and check block tho... if you can see light under the strait edge i think they say thats atleast 4 thousands..