Head bolts - reusable?

Silent Smith

Jerk.
Nov 30, 2005
Mississauga
Are toyota head bolts resuseable, I know they are tq to yeild but I don't understand why that makes them one time use.

ARP bolts cost abou $250 (can) after tax here so I'm kinda stuck between reusing the stockers or driving to the states to pick them up.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
Silent Smith said:
Are toyota head bolts resuseable, I know they are tq to yeild but I don't understand why that makes them one time use.

ARP bolts cost abou $250 (can) after tax here so I'm kinda stuck between reusing the stockers or driving to the states to pick them up.

just grab them off an online US store like MVP/935 or even ebay... you can get ARP head Bolts for less than 90 US + shipping maybe like 10 US dollars. I think...

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
I reused mine.. that was because I was time limited.. couldnt wait for new set to arrive since I was moving.. I did the HG job Dec 2000. Still running with the old bolts and no problems.. If you have time, i guess it is better to replace them, even with a Toyota one..

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
No they are not reusable.

The threads are already stretched and will NOT lock all the way even with a lube ( arp moly lube etc ).

Just get new ARP head STUDS ( dont buy bolts...thats a waste of money) its only like $80...

-Jonathan

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
they are not reusable, arp's are reusable.

and from what i know the stockers are not torque to yeild. torque to yeild bolts will have a torque spec that that includes ft/lbs and then a number of degrees to turn the bolt after the bolt has been turned to the givin ft/lb spec. once a torque to yeild bolt is used it is junk/paperweight. they are streched beyond the point that they can return to their origonal length. so a used torque to yeild bolt will be thiner in the middle(hour glass shaped) once it has been used. domestics use alot of torque to yeild, to hold on heads for example, but i have never encounterd a torque to yeild in the 7m, and that includes a hg change. if someone else thinks differently then pipe up but i am very confident that i am right.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The stock head bolts are reusable per the TSRM. Note that non-reusable parts are clearly indicated by a black diamond on this page of the TSRM.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/em/EM_32.html

Also note that the factory recommended torque on the head bolts is 58ft-lbs. I am always seeing 52 ft-lbs used in posts on this site. According to Reg Riemer, even at 72 ft-lbs the stock head bolts are not in the plastic region.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Way to much misinformation in this thread.

3p141592654 is correct. Stock Toyota head bolts are reusable, even at 72 foot pounds. Stock bolts are not TTY.

That said, ARP fasteners are never a bad idea, and should be available for under $100 if you can find a local parts place that carries them. I bought mine on the west coast from a place called Mopac, cost me $96 and they were in stock on the shelf.

FYI, here is the appropriate section, quoted from Reg Reimer's site:
Recently I purchased a pair of new head bolts from my local Toyota dealership. One bolt from the 1995 Supra 2JZ-GTE engines, as well as a new bolt from the 7M-GTE. I then contracted a local certified engineering metallurgical company to perform tensile strength tests on the head bolts to compare yield strengths and torque values.

I have lab data reports based on the ASTM A370 tensile test, giving tensile strength, yield strength, ultimate load, yield load, as well as deformation data and maximum tightening torque values for the head bolts from the 2JZ GTE and 7M-GTE engines. Some results of the test are given below.

7M head bolt is: 12mm-1.25mm thread pitch {Property Class 10.9 grade 8} yield strength=147,353 PSI... tensile strength=160,550 PSI... ultimate load=70,198 N... % elongation=17... % reduction of area=66 2J head bolt is: 11mm-1.25mm thread pitch {Property Class 10.9 grade 8} yield strength=148,948 PSI... tensile strength=162,581 PSI... ultimate load=68,997 N... % elongation=19... % reduction of area=66

The metals used in the head bolts of the 7M & 2JZ engines are identical in metallurgy +/- manufacturing S.P.C. This is a good material; it stretches smoothly in the plastic region of the curve before it snaps.

By calculating the unit strain for each of the different areas of bolts based on the average yield strength, the following total elongation numbers were calculated. The 7M bolt has a total elongation of .0134" {.3399mm}, and the 2JZ bolt has a total elongation of .01093" {.2775mm}.

By comparing the elongation differences of the bolts, related to the corresponding different thickness of the aluminum in the engines cylinder heads, and allowing for the total length of the bolt shank plus 50% of the length of the threads, the only apparent difference is that the 2JZ bolt has 36 percent more thread than the 7M bolt does. The 7M & 2JZ bolts appear to be designed with the same steel to aluminum expansion stretch theory. I believe the bolt designs are different only because of the different ratio of the bolts metal area versus the thickness of the aluminum cylinder heads the bolt is designed to hold down. The torquing procedure for the two head bolts is also different, as is the head gasket

Toyota service manuals say that the 7M engines head bolt torque specification is 52 to 58 ft. lbs. According to my findings the 52 to 58 ft. lbs. specification for the 7M might be too low a torque value to keep the bolt in acceptable tension, not to mention the normal compression of the head gasket after time. As mentioned earlier many 7M engines that experience head gasket failures have many head bolts that can be removed from the engines failed cylinders by hand, or are very loose when removed.

My calculations show that the 7M head bolts when torqued to the factory specifications of 52 to 58 ft. lbs. is in very low tension related to the bolts actual yield curve. Calculations based on my test data show torque values for the 7M head bolt could be as high as 68 ft. lbs. to 72 ft. lbs. without putting the bolt into the plastic region. On a cold engine this extra torque would allow more tension on the head bolts after the head gasket compresses to normal operating thickness.

Many Supra owners that can afford it are upgrading their 7M engine to the expensive HKS stopper type metal head gasket for the 7M engine. This gasket comes in a number of different thick nesses. My Company stocks the HKS gaskets and I ship them all over the world. The HKS gasket will hold well to over 20 PSI of boost over 400 hp as sea level with upgraded fuel and turbochargers. The factory head bolt torque may be satisfactory with a metal head gasket since metal head gaskets do not deform as much as the soft OEM gasket used in the 7M. I would still recommend torquing the bolts to 72-ft. lbs. When upgrading to Metal head gaskets much must be considered with regard to machine work and the finish of the engine block deck and cylinder head gasket surface. See the following link for full details on doing correct machine work to your engine

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Silent Smith said:

As Grim points out, the stock bolts are not TTY but you answered your own question. Everything else aside, how can a TTY fastener be reusable? Think about it ;)

suprafly

Jun 30, 2005
I don't know where you guys get this. MK3 owners love spending money when it's not necessary. STOCK HEAD BOLTS ARE REUSABLE. If they weren't the TSRM would say so. I reused my stockers and ran them at 15psi until the bottom end got a rod knock. Here's the deal-check them to see if they've stretched beyond acceptable spec, and if they haven't, go for it. Keep in mind however no supra with 400+ hp should be on stock head bolts.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
suprafly said:
I don't know where you guys get this. MK3 owners love spending money when it's not necessary. STOCK HEAD BOLTS ARE REUSABLE. If they weren't the TSRM would say so. I reused my stockers and ran them at 15psi until the bottom end got a rod knock. Here's the deal-check them to see if they've stretched beyond acceptable spec, and if they haven't, go for it. Keep in mind however no supra with 400+ hp should be on stock head bolts.

Perhaps I should rephrase my answer: TTY bolts are not reusable. The stock bolts are not TTY. They can be reused but I personally would not, same as I would not reuse an oil pump during a rebuild, but that's ust me.

Last edited:
N

NDBoost

dont be cheap, get ARP STUDS their worth the money and will save you ALOT of hassle in the long run plus dont you feel safer having bolts holding your head down that arent 15+ years old? :)