HE351VE and its fricken flange

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I have a wee problem with the turbo I have, it is the HE351ve with the variable vain gizmo. I have a 935 stainless header for the 1jz with a divided T4 flange. The 351 uses a nonstandard flange that fits between a T3 and the T4. I have found a mild steel flange for the 351. The conundrum is do I hack the T4 flange off and weld this to the stainless pipes, or I could get a T4 flange and weld that to the turbine housing. Or get a t4 flange and the 351 flange and make an adapter. the last is a problem if the adapter is too tall, as clearance is an issue with this turbo. I suppose I could also build my own header but that is uncharted territory for me.

Any wisdom for me?

JZ_killa_t68

Fartknocker
Jun 19, 2005
Sin City
I'm actually in the middle of the same thing. I'm just going to get a fleabay china manifold and hack it up and re-enforce it. that dam turbo weighs in at 48lbs. I already got the flange (also ebay special). Plus the turbo doesn't have a divided flange. save the good header until you run the turbo awhile-that's my opinion-as I'm kind of doing this as an experiment for a 2j. How do you plan to control actuator? I've been ripping out my hair here. I don't want to use a wastegate solenoid. I want to open it gradually by amount of boost that I have. I saw some of the youtube vids where the DSM opens the solenoid and you can totally hear the turbo slow down spooling. I don't want that. The only good way I can think is a microcontroller, and I don't do C++. the other idea is an Allen-Bradly Micrologix PLC-which I have everything 'cept the processor at home-but it's 24Vdc. lmk what you think

Josh

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Both of you are asking for trouble with the VGT system. This is not a proven system in the performance world, and as it sits - Cummins has various recalls, calibration updates, and a whole host of other problems on the VGT systems.

The turbo itself is a great power house. The VGT system, not so much.

If you MUST go down this route, make or buy a t4 to t3 adapter to raise the turbo about 2" off the header surface.

JZ_killa_t68

Fartknocker
Jun 19, 2005
Sin City
MDCmotorsports;1380948 said:
Both of you are asking for trouble with the VGT system. This is not a proven system in the performance world, and as it sits - Cummins has various recalls, calibration updates, and a whole host of other problems on the VGT systems.

The turbo itself is a great power house. The VGT system, not so much.

If you MUST go down this route, make or buy a t4 to t3 adapter to raise the turbo about 2" off the header surface.

I think that the problem mostly originated from a couple of sources, A). the soot from the diesel wasn't so friendly for the VGT portion, and I personally don't like to see electronics mounted a few inches from the Hot side of a turbo. I've got a couple of ideas for control of this system, I'm just doing this as it's something that I've been interested since....well late 90's when I was into the shelby daytona charger from dodge.

JZ_killa_t68

Fartknocker
Jun 19, 2005
Sin City
Soooooooooooo, anyone making any headway on this? I still don't have a motor, so it's a No for me, but I believe that I have a good idea about how I am going to control the VGT actuator. I'm planning on doing it old school mechanical sytle with a wastegate and a $10 manual boost controller-for the time being until I find what the optimum spool points are......damn I wish I had my motor, I'd probably have it running by now.....:(