hdr this photo?

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
i took this pic a couple days ago and was wondering if anyone would be able to touch it up, or hdr it so i can have a sick backround/sig...thanks alot!

p1191756_1.jpg

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
not a whole lot to work with in that picture. give us a background and a RAW file.

i tweaked it a little towards my personal preferences, but there isnt much to be done with it

Attachments

• toyota.jpg
    toyota.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 37

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
you'd need to take it at three different exposures to get an hdr, or take a raw image like doc said.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
Clip;1192016 said:
you'd need to take it at three different exposures to get an hdr, or take a raw image like doc said.

ok ill see if i cant take 3 pics at different exposures....i think its gonna rain tonight so ill see what i can do! thanks

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Whenever I do an hdr, I usually end up taking like 10 or more exposures at different intervals...

...with three you're still rather limited. Besides, the whole point in HDR is to bring out the dark areas without overexposing the light places. IMHO this would not be a good image to use.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
alloyguitar;1194257 said:
Besides, the whole point in HDR is to bring out the dark areas without overexposing the light places. IMHO this would not be a good image to use.

yeah, if you are shooting jpegs, shoot multiple frames at different exposures, but if you are shooting RAW, all you need is one frame. When the image is saved in RAW, ALL the data from the sensor is saved, so you can always tone the overexposed areas back down, but you can only do so much with the underexposed areas. hence, it is good to slightly overexpose a RAW image if you want to do an HDR.

But, yes, this really isnt a good shot to HDR. there really isnt much range to tone map.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
I disagree with the whole RAW-hdr way of doing things. In my experience (I'm a graphic designer by trade) it's better to, even if shooting in raw, still capture multiple images.

Raw or Jpeg, you can still only expose the sensor to a finite amount of light before it loses the information. Otherwise you could just take stills at 30+second exposures and turn the exposure back down until it looks good, which simply isn't the case.

But I digress, I would still recommend taking a different photo...one with a range of light/dark areas. I'm sure doc will agree with me there.

...and sorry about the threadjack.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yeah, as stated, you need multiple captures of the same picture at multiple exposures for HDR. You'll need a tri-pod to do that and see if your camera has a feature called 'Bracketing'.

Here's about 10 minutes of work. I took the 'Toyota' reflection out of the bumper, tweaked the logo a little bit, a few other odds and ends, and put your handle in to cover the reflection of you in the bumper. Gotta be careful of those reflections while taking pictures! ;)

Enjoy... :)

Attachments

• toyota.jpg
    toyota.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 27
  • toyota3.jpg
    toyota3.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
alloyguitar;1194276 said:
I disagree with the whole RAW-hdr way of doing things. In my experience (I'm a graphic designer by trade) it's better to, even if shooting in raw, still capture multiple images.

Raw or Jpeg, you can still only expose the sensor to a finite amount of light before it loses the information. Otherwise you could just take stills at 30+second exposures and turn the exposure back down until it looks good, which simply isn't the case.

But I digress, I would still recommend taking a different photo...one with a range of light/dark areas. I'm sure doc will agree with me there.

...and sorry about the threadjack.

oh, of course, multiple bracketed shots are always better; a single RAW is just for when you dont have a tripod. And yes, you can only expose the sensor so much, but a slight overexposure won't cost you significantly if you are shooting raw.