having a big shake!!

87 mk3

May 19, 2008
Panorama City
my car is having a problem that once i get on the freeway like around wen im driving 75-80mph it starts to shake n wen i brake it shakes even harder does anyone know wat it could be or has had this problem?? really need help thanks..:icon_bigg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Ya, I'd say if it happens all the time (coasting, accel, decel) then it may be a wheel that needs balancing. Have discount tire take a look at it. They do most that small stuff for free to gain your loyalty as a customer. I know they at least do free flat repair/patches and rotations whether you bought tires there or not. Good people.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
When you brake the steering wheel shakes? Could be warped brake rotors in the front for that. I'd get the wheel balance checked, as mentioned before. Possible a weight came off.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
like some have said its most likely the center support bearing (located on the drive shaft) incase you didnt know. it wont do it on accel or when your at a steady pace because the shaft is forced to one sidebut once you let off it starts to wobble around freely. got the same problem with the old ladys car.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
87 mk3;1033132 said:
where can i find the center support bearing?

on the drive shaft. supras have two piece shafts. the bearing is the connection of the two. if you grab it and shake it around and you can see, feel it bouncing around youll know then.

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
Without looking it up. Is the center support bearing the same thing as a carrier bearing?
Is that what you guys are going on about?

Toyota is expensive on those things.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
castrol supra;1033160 said:
Without looking it up. Is the center support bearing the same thing as a carrier bearing?
Is that what you guys are going on about?

Toyota is expensive on those things.

Yeah, same thing and yeah they're pricey.

87 mk3

May 19, 2008
Panorama City
supramike7m;1033159 said:
on the drive shaft. supras have two piece shafts. the bearing is the connection of the two. if you grab it and shake it around and you can see, feel it bouncing around youll know then.

yea i do need to change that do u knoe of any place online where i can buy the center support??

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Center support bearing is on the drive shaft....carrier bearing is a bearing that goes in a differntial...

The support bearing cost about $250....I felt much better getting a single piece shaftmasters driveshaft for $340 shipped!