have/had some stuttering issues under boost??? kinda long...sorry

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
alright, mods are stock ct-26 at 12psi, 3" turbo back exhaust no cat, hard pipes, fmic, lex afm, afc neo, afpr, walbro 255lph, n/a swapped turbo.

the problem i was having was some stuttering under boost usually around 10psi depending on throttle and rpms.
i had someone tail me and watch the exhaust; no smoke of any kind. i did a pressure test on the pipes; no leaks.
i changed and gapped plugs to .028; no changes. ran my tank close to empty and got gas from a different station; no changes.
i went to work this morning and used a 1/3-1/2 more gas then i normally do. so then i start thinking maybe a fuel leak and i am not getting enough fuel to the rail. on the way home on the interstate i tried to boost and got stuttering, coasted to maybe build up some pressure in the rail and then boosted and didnt get any stuttering.
so i got home and checked for leaks, nothing to be found. so i played with my afpr, turned it all the way down and then back up to about 35psi with the vaccum line off. realized my cold start injector clip on the thermostat housing was off and put that back on, then went to drive my car again to see if anything changed.
boosted fine, no stuttering at all. i kept it at about 3000 rpms with out any boost and then floored it and still boosted fine.
so my question is WTF is going on. did i fix it somehow, if so how. i was thinking maybe the afpr was stuck slightly open or something with the gauge stuck at 35 with the vaccum line off. or maybe my cold start injector is stuck open all the time when connected and i have the engine tuned through the afc neo with it open. i am kinda stuck. i feel better now that its running right again but what happened. i am also wondering about the loss of fuel this morning. any help, thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Sorry Supradad, but I'm not in a big reading mood right now. I will read your post later though.

Have you checked your plugs? What are they gapped at? When mine are gapped to big, they break up real bad under boost. I now have to run them at .020, but if I was you, I'd start at .028 and see if that helps. Is everything grounded good? Any codes?

Hopefully someone will come on here and help you, but Im in a hurry and I'm also in a lazy mood. Sorry.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
find that fuel leak if there really is one immediately. As far as the CSI is concerned, that should not affect anything as its only used for starting purposes. If your CSI is disonnected, at most it will take your engine a bit longer to start. its possible there was a kink in the vacuum side of the AFPR so as boost went up your FP didn't, though in this case id just cause you to run lean. getting back to the fuel leak, possibly at a certain pressure you have a fuel leak. I had this issue. Turn up the AFPR to about 60PSI at idle and check for leaks.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
O.K. I felt bad so I read it. Do you have a wideband to show AFR's? Sounds like it was running extremely rich under boost and that's why it stuttered real bad and didn't make any boost. What are your afr's running at when it stutters?

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
So, I don't have a wideband, I tuned it using the diagnostic port and a multimeter, basically getting it to STOICH through out the powerband.
I was thinking that the CSI could be stuck open with it plugged in. By me not having it plugged in I was thinking I could be running lean. I will definately check for leaks though. Thanks.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
How old are your ignition wires? Idle and then rev the engine in the dark and check for arcing. How old is the fuel filter? I'd change it, regardless (big pita). I see the Lex AFM listed but no 550's. Did you forget to list them or do you not have them? When did you have the injectors cleaned last? Check turbo outlet hose for leaks. Some boost leaks happen there and can be hard to track. Also, reduced spark plug gap might help. Good luck.

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
got boost is right if you just put on the lexus afm and not the 550s you will get that breaking up undder acceleration. too much air to the motor not enough fuel.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
supradad86_5;1194066 said:
So, I don't have a wideband, I tuned it using the diagnostic port and a multimeter, basically getting it to STOICH through out the powerband.
I was thinking that the CSI could be stuck open with it plugged in. By me not having it plugged in I was thinking I could be running lean. I will definately check for leaks though. Thanks.

im hoping for your sake thats not under full or even part throttle with boost