has anyone used these?

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
hey guys. i just took my car out for its maiden voyage at the track last night. she's an 87 with a 7m turbo swap full 3" exhaust and intake. right now the car only makes about 10lb boost, but as i quikly learned with an open diff and crappy street tires thats more than enough to spin like crazy and make an ass of yourself at the strip. 1/8 mile my best time was 9.87 with a trap speed around 80mph. i got an lsd to put in, and i'm getting ready to buy tires. i was looking at nitto nt555r 245/50/16 for the rear. that has really been the only dot's i've seen that will fit my stock rims. just wondering if anyones had good experiance with these?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Before you spend money on expensive tires, put the lsd in, buy a 2step and learn to launch. The 2step will help you control your launch rpm, and you'll see a much more dramatic improvement with practice than you will with tires. The trick to a fast drag isn't the car, it's knowing how to drag.

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
i am familiar with 2steps. the reason i'm getting tires is because the ones i have on the car right now are dirt. i've been dragging f or a few years now so i'm not bad at launching. still room for improvement, but not bad. i just haven't heard a whole lot about these tires and was curious since i can get them for 130 each.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
They are not too bad.. But I would get the MT DR's they are alittle more but a lot better! I've had both and the MT last just as long as the Nitto's and hook better! A two step helps build boost off the line and it's great... But where youre at Tires are the biggest thing that will help you... I can cut 1.8 all day long with no boost off the line with just my DR's

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
thanks frontier...thats what i was looking for. i looked at the mt tires but i didn't want a tire as wide as they are right now since i still drive the car on the street as well. i'm just afraid they would roll too much on corners. i'm gonna go ahead and order the nittos tonight then, and we'll see how she does with a decent set of tires and the lsd. should be a great improvement since i should be able to get grip before half track. next step will be a better clutch before i use a two step seein as how i have a w58 in the car right now. i don't trust it to hold together if i was to launch on boost. prolly even a turbo trans before i would add one

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
60' times were horrible at around 2.8 to 3. i thought about wheels, but i'm just starting to drag this car so i'm sure it will show me some weeks spots shortly where i'll have to drop some more cash.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
7mslider;1549106 said:
60' times were horrible at around 2.8 to 3. i thought about wheels, but i'm just starting to drag this car so i'm sure it will show me some weeks spots shortly where i'll have to drop some more cash.

Thats horrible, I got a 2.3 on a stock 7mgte, on the recommended stock tires, my first time down the strip.

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
the other stock 7m down there was posting alot better 60' times. i was spinning like hell when i hit boost. this was with tires that were done for and an open 4.3 rear end. i got my rear end out tonight and my tires ordered. i'm hoping i'll have everything buttoned up by friday and i'll let you guys know the improvement, which i'm sure there will be a big one

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
well last night i took the ol girl out to the strip to try out the new tires and lsd. i'm still tryin to find the sweet spot for launch. the tires hooked so much better. my best time was a 8.98 at 79mph with a 2.04 60' time. i'm still messin with the tire pressures and the launch rpm. it seemed like the whole night i was either still spinning a little, or bogging at the tree. i'm going back down friday to try a couple things and i'm hoping for 1.8-1.9 60' and would be very happy with an 8.8. any other advice for the launch seein as how this is my first turbo?

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
The way i set my tire pressure in the rear for drag racing is to go to a nice black top raod that will leave a nice mark and do a burn out. See where the darker marks are on the road and adjust accordingly. If it's darker on the inside adjust your camber so that your tires are flat against the road when you launch. Once you got that down adjust your air pressure according to the contact patch marks. Mark where your camber adjustment bolts are before you start to mess with them so you can put them back once you are done racing.

Good Luck.

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
thanks for the advice. i didn't even think about the camber in the rear. the car does squat quite a bit in the rear end. that would prolly help

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
RazoE;1553896 said:
to answer your original question, you can fit up to 255's on stock saws, but you're going to get horrible sidewall flex...

He's running in a straight line. Who is worried about side wall flex? Although I would think a 245/50/16 BFG Drag Radial would be a good tire. been running them for years with no problems.