Has anyone tried an upgraded braking system on a supra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdb

Jul 6, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I have achilles tendon problems and braking performance is REALLY important to me. My tendons are really weak and if someone were to pull out in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes, it could really mess up my tendons and just the thought of it scares the hell out of me. But nevertheless, I do have to drive around to get things done and I'd like to eventually (when I can afford it) find some way to beef up my supra's braking ability.
What I need is the most amount of stopping power with using the least amount of pedal pressure. Has anyone tried upgrading their brake rotor size or done anything that has improved the car's braking response? I was looking at the brembo 13" front brake upgrade kit but it costs 3 grand. Who out there could lend me some experiences with beefed up brakes? How was the pedal pressure response before and after the upgrade? Thanks a bunch.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Has anyone tried addressing the luxurgy GTness of the car, and its copious weight? As the breaks are beyond adequate for normal use.

wdb

Jul 6, 2009
Vancouver, WA
lewis15498;1368078 said:
FYI: No search = FAIL

Yeah, I did fail to look around I guess. But now as long as I've already started the thread and after all, my question is more about the feel of the pedal pressure, maybe someone could answer my question about how much easier the car stops with less pedal pressure after a brake upgrade. I didn't really see anything specific enough to my needs on the big brake thread, mostly discussion about cost and manufacturers.

This topic is really important to me. I'm not kidding you, I use both feet on the brake pedal of my automatic to stop the car and I always have to brake gingerly and have nowhere near the strength in my achilles to lock up the tires without hurting them really bad and greatly delaying my recovery time. It's already been 2.5 years that they've been hurt and they heal really slowly so an accident like I mentioned in my first post would do unthinkable damage. They're that weak. If someone had any info I'd really appreciate it.

TO DUMBO: I checked out the link you posted and that's a good deal on those brakes! I'm really interested to hear how well they stop the car. That'd be awesome if you could update this thread after you find out. Which kit on the page did you order by the way?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
wdb;1368091 said:
Yeah, I did fail to look around I guess. But now as long as I've already started the thread and after all, my question is more about the feel of the pedal pressure, maybe someone could answer my question about how much easier the car stops with less pedal pressure after a brake upgrade. I didn't really see anything specific enough to my needs on the big brake thread, mostly discussion about cost and manufacturers.

This topic is really important to me. I'm not kidding you, I use both feet on the brake pedal of my automatic to stop the car and I always have to brake gingerly and have nowhere near the strength in my achilles to lock up the tires without hurting them really bad and greatly delaying my recovery time. It's already been 2.5 years that they've been hurt and they heal really slowly so an accident like I mentioned in my first post would do unthinkable damage. They're that weak. If someone had any info I'd really appreciate it.

TO DUMBO: I checked out the link you posted and that's a good deal on those brakes! I'm really interested to hear how well they stop the car. That'd be awesome if you could update this thread after you find out.

Your thread title should have been: "Has anyone REDUCED brake pedal effort?" ...or something like that. Current title is then misleading and not what you are needing to ask, no?

...that having been said, the ARZ brake kit is AWESOME... but you STILL have to PRESS on the brake pedal. Not sure if a BBK alone will solve your issue. Have you considered HAND CONTROLLED BRAKES? A paraplegic that had my car before fitted them so he could drive it. (He sold it within a year, as it was too much car for him!) It would be "temporary" until you heal, not too expensive, and removable, with no ill effects.;)

G/L!

-crisp

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
wdb;1368091 said:
Yeah, I did fail to look around I guess.

Yes you did and are continuing to do so. You need to "look around" 1st before you start a thread...this took me 0.5 sec:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96401
(this one is on the 1st page of the General section)

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101087

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100459

http://www.supramania.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114

This thread is closed...we don't need another brake kit discussion right now. Do some research (i.e. get off your lazy a**) and then ask the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.