Has anyone stroked their MKIII 2JZ swap?

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
Ok title sounds gay but serious question :aigo:

Is anyone running a 3.4 Stroked 2JZ swap on their MKIII? Do you guys think its worth doing this to a 2J or is this really only for drag cars?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Well I'm sure you can make your power goal with out doing it.

I'm also sure it might take down the reliability a bit.

The ones you normally see stroked are 1000+ HP cars so i don't know the pro's of having it stroked for a lower hp build

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
Turbo Habanero;1838435 said:
Well I'm sure you can make your power goal with out doing it.

I'm also sure it might take down the reliability a bit.

The ones you normally see stroked are 1000+ HP cars so i don't know the pro's of having it stroked for a lower hp build

I was thinking of my future build to have 800WHP. You think this may mean that I can run pump gas and produce the 800WHP? I'm a noob when it comes to performance stuff so thats why I ask. I have also been looking at possibly doing a flex-fuel adaptation.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
phatbimmer;1838436 said:
I was thinking of my future build to have 800WHP. You think this may mean that I can run pump gas and produce the 800WHP? I'm a noob when it comes to performance stuff so thats why I ask. I have also been looking at possibly doing a flex-fuel adaptation.
Those two phrases I bolded have no business being in the same post. Aim for a reliable stock power level. When you feel confident that you understand how the motor works and you can keep it running reliably, go up to 400-500WHP. Once you feel confident with that "perfrormance stuff" then you can aim for higher goals. But being a noob aiming for 800WHP is a bad combination for your motor, your car, and the safety of you and others.
-AM3

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I'm sure he means that as a far future goal..

I'd one day like to have a 1000whp car but i know i'm no where near ready lol. But it's a life goal of mine.

Last edited:

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
i think I should have made FUTURE bolded along with adding FAR before it :biglaugh:. As with anything in life you start off a noob, and through experience and learning you gain knowledge.

Thanks habanero

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
phatbimmer;1838550 said:
i think I should have made FUTURE bolded along with adding FAR before it :biglaugh:. As with anything in life you start off a noob, and through experience and learning you gain knowledge.

Thanks habanero
For sure, my bad, I should read slower, lol. I'm pretty comfortable at the noob step, so I'm starting to add some power now, but nothing big yet.
-AM3

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Also, some people are awesome drivers, but know next to jack about how to build a motor... I've seen it before. Personally, I probably lean more toward driving, only ever got into the mechanical side of understanding out of financial necessity. ;)

As for the original subject, it would be an awesome street engine, especially off boost. Like was said in another thread, extra displacement is rarely a bad thing. In fact, the only way I could see it being a problem are if the engine just isn't cut out for extra displacement or lugging around a bit of extra weight. Long in the tooth designs like the 7m come to mind, it started life as a 2.0 I6 WAY back in the day, it's been bored/stroked a lot already. Considering the 2jz started life as a 3.0, you have a decent amount of room for safe additional displacement.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had the cash. As it is though, I have other projects to get to...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Expensive as hell to do, but after looking at the dyno graphs of stroked 2J's, it's definately nice. More peak power, more torque, faster spool... only bad part is really the price :rofl:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Oh come on man, the cheaper 3.4 kit is only what, $6500? I think Titan's setup is something like double that, last I checked... Considering potential output, it's not REALLY that expensive... :p

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Of all the engines I've thought of swapping in, a stroked 2jz completely slipped my mind. Oh man, I REALLY wanna do this now. I'd get like 9.5ish compression ratio pistons, give it as much boost as possible from a little single turbo, and DD it :D

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
Thats it I'm def. going to get this stroked 2J swap man, from everything I've been reading that you guys posted I have added it to the "TO DO LIST" in the FAR FUTURE say 2years :icon_razz

That and converting it to run e85 would be god like :icon_bigg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Mr Bojangles;1839146 said:
If you want 800 there is no reason at all to build a stroker.

Other than more power off boost and faster spool. You know, the area under the curve that makes driving fun? :rofl:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IJ.;1839213 said:
400cc guys.... :nono:

NOT worth the 6.5K starting price in any way shape or form.

Oh shush you :p

151752d1225122576-perfect-poster-describe-forum-lol-ls1.jpg