has anyone replaced their wiper arms with something more modern?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I couldn't find any wiper arms that would work with more modern wipers. Truth be told I didn't look terribly hard though, as finding them would be mostly trial and error to find one that works.

I did run Bosche Icons though (only wiper that wouldn't skip).

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I'm working on using an adapter that came with my old wipers to put new ones on

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
They're wiper arms. What would a "more modern" one feature anyway?

If anything, I'd like the system that came on my 1975 Chev, where when you turned the wipers off, they retracted under the hood cowl, but all things considered, I'm happier having intermittent wipers.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'd mainly want one with the modern "hook" ends on them so I could use more wipers easier.

Where's Jeff when you need him...

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
You mean these?

318ZWASNYML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anco part # 4817

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They suck though...

Would rather have a newer arm that has that end on it (hell, one day I'll probably just chop off the ends from a newer car and weld them on)

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
I replaced mine yesterday, I wanted to change to a modern arm with a hook end to use the flameless style wiper blades.
I got told these were no use as they would wear fast and be no good as they are made for "modern car, with modern glazing"

So I went to my auto parts store and just got 3x 18" wipers and am pretty happy with them... they came with the two screw mount adaptors with hook so I suppose they would work with hook on style blades also ?

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I see what you are getting at Mark, but like the other guys have said....What is wrong with the ones on the car? I have hooked ends on mine and I just recently pulled them off the car, sanded them and painted them flat black. Looks brand new now.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dan_Gyoba;1885814 said:
They're wiper arms. What would a "more modern" one feature anyway?

If anything, I'd like the system that came on my 1975 Chev, where when you turned the wipers off, they retracted under the hood cowl, but all things considered, I'm happier having intermittent wipers.
Wait, Supra blades don't drop down into the cowl a bit? I might be thinking my old SS that did that, or the LS400. I could have sworn the Supras did that too...

Anyway, on the subject of wipers, it really sucks being towed on a rainy day without wipers. Can't see sheet. :nono: Did find some sweet 80's tapes in the car, as well as about $5 in change, but dropped the change I think, can't seem to find the little coin holder thing that had it all inside. Oh well, belongs to the junk yard now I guess. :p

On the subject of Supra wipers, I've heard good things about the original ones fitting the contours of the windshield really nicely. If anything I would be happy with some heavy duty winter style blades, but I never found anybody who makes them for the Mk3.

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
the only problem with the hooks which i didnt know werent stock is the auto places suggested me a wiper blade that that touches the window trim, im pretty sure mine are stainless steel and made by piaa (the hooks)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I've never used any wipers that worked better than the original factory ones. They fit the wiper arms properly, and the follow the contour of the glass properly, and they have very easily replaced rubber.

That being said there are some very nice U-hook to Screw-type adapters out there, you just have to find them. Most of them are cheap/crappy, but there are some nice metal ones. If that's what you're into.

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
85220-3A050 - LH Wiper
85220-1A020 - RH Wiper

These are the wipers you want for a LHD A70, anything else (especially anything MVP or similar -- part numbers ending in YZZxx, etc. -- are junk).

Jeff

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The stock wipers are good. What makes them and any wiper suck are unclean windscreens. You need to have at the thing once or twice a year with Bon Ami, similar, or an actual glass polish to get the road film off. Cerium oxide if necessary.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Jeff Lange;1886089 said:
That being said there are some very nice U-hook to Screw-type adapters out there, you just have to find them. Most of them are cheap/crappy, but there are some nice metal ones

The ones I purchased have very tidy adapters, (hook with two screw mount) metal finished off with a coat of black paint they looks the part.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
te72;1886078 said:
Wait, Supra blades don't drop down into the cowl a bit? I might be thinking my old SS that did that, or the LS400. I could have sworn the Supras did that too...

The mk2 Supra wipers retract. Always thought the mk3 wipers were a downgrade from the mk2.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Poodles;1885818 said:
I'd mainly want one with the modern "hook" ends on them so I could use more wipers easier.

Where's Jeff when you need him...

This. Hooked ends open up a lot of different types of possibilities for blades

jetjock;1886092 said:
The stock wipers are good. What makes them and any wiper suck are unclean windscreens. You need to have at the thing once or twice a year with Bon Ami, similar, or an actual glass polish to get the road film off. Cerium oxide if necessary.

My windshield is relatively new, replaced a few years ago, and the car has been garaged almost the entire time. I just clayed it in fact. I'm starting to think that my spring that provides tension to the arm is just weak, if that makes sense

3p141592654;1886119 said:
The mk2 Supra wipers retract. Always thought the mk3 wipers were a downgrade from the mk2.
indeed, I loved the MKII wipers