has anyone relocated their coil on a n/a

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supra90turbo;1548834 said:
First of all: Pics.
Secondly: Nobody here is going to call you dumb because you did something other than stock. After all, it's not called www.PuristMania.com

Only time that will happen is if wankers come in here saying "I fitted xxx aftermarket coil now my GE makes so much more power I'm beating GTE's"

If a new AM coil is that much of an improvement the stock coil was either dead or dying and replacing it with a new factory coil would have given the same result and been plugNplay without relocation.

The GE ignition system isn't bad by any means this isn't a 6cyl Chev with points.....

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
IJ is right that is the only time that you would even notice the slights bit of difference. i knew mine was gettin week and so i went a head and spent the 30 bucks on the blaster 2 only diffence you should notice is running smoother. only time it will make a diffence is if your a wanker and think the smallest thing gives you 50bhp.
if you got a good strong factory coil dont even bother doin this its a waste of money

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
dsm_tuner260;1555314 said:
IJ is right that is the only time that you would even notice the slights bit of difference. i knew mine was gettin week and so i went a head and spent the 30 bucks on the blaster 2 only diffence you should notice is running smoother. only time it will make a diffence is if your a wanker and think the smallest thing gives you 50bhp.
if you got a good strong factory coil dont even bother doin this its a waste of money

I completely agree with you. I'd say the only time you would NEED this is upgrade is if your going to be screaming an NA motor revving it through the roof.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
stomis;1555528 said:
I completely agree with you. I'd say the only time you would NEED this is upgrade is if your going to be screaming an NA motor revving it through the roof.

Can't do that with the stock ECU hard limiter anyway so it's a moot point, by the time you go Standalone you'd ditch the Distributor and single coil..

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
IJ.;1555544 said:
Can't do that with the stock ECU hard limiter anyway so it's a moot point, by the time you go Standalone you'd ditch the Distributor and single coil..

How do you figure? I mean I could be wrong but with a built motor and a piggy back why couldnt you rev'er out to 75 or 8500 where you would need that coil?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Full Hardcut is around 7000, not so easy to get around on the Toyota ECU, in the past people have changed the clock crystal but I'm not keen on that idea as it changes EVERYTHING the ecu does not just the Limiter.

There were a few daughter board setups back in the day but it required returning the ECU anytime you wanted to alter any parameter, be interesting to see what 3P and the boys can come up with when they're finished.

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
IJ.;1555604 said:
Full Hardcut is around 7000, not so easy to get around on the Toyota ECU, in the past people have changed the clock crystal but I'm not keen on that idea as it changes EVERYTHING the ecu does not just the Limiter.

There were a few daughter board setups back in the day but it required returning the ECU anytime you wanted to alter any parameter, be interesting to see what 3P and the boys can come up with when they're finished.

Yep I saw your post about the crystal discussion. I was curious so I started searching.

Thats fine for me though I plan on 7000rpm shift point anyway

86.5ny

Apr 26, 2010
OC, NY
I am also using the MSD Blaster 2 coil that I got off of a friend for 10$. Was a cheap replacement when I did my motor swap to get rid of my 23yr old coil. This thread has gotten me interested in relocating it as well since mine still sits ontop of the square mount. It seems like an eyesore because it sticks up so high and my hood is mangled pretty bad so I am not sure if it would even fit under there when I get my replacement. The ABS spot dsm_tuner260 has mounted it to seems like a good spot. There is so much clutter in the engine bay on the drivers side of a GE that it could use alittle balance.