has anyone had good success from an alternate to Dynamat?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I think that the cost of Dynamat is rediculus, so I have been looking for an alternative. When you break it down, all that it is a rubber/neoprene sheet that sticks to the floor and absorbs vibrations. Here is what I have found.....

http://www.rubbercal.com/Soft_neoprene.html

36" wide x how ever many feet you need, self adhesive, easy to cut and what ever thickness you might need. I was figuring at least one layer of 1/16", and two layers over the floor, over the exhaust & wheel wells.

I should be able to cover ALL of the interior & drop the decibles several levels for $150-$250....

thoughts?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've used quite a few alternatives over the years, they all seem to work about the same. Even used some thick roofing material at one point, some kind of tar impregnated paper that we glued on with spray adhesive. That worked well too. All you're doing is adding mass, the fact that it's malleable and sticky just makes it convenient.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Stinger Roadkill worked pretty well for me. It's thicker than Dynamat by a bit, and works just as well, if not a bit better. You can find it on Amazon for a reasonable price, I did my whole car for ~$200. Covered the doors, rear hatch, the rear strut towers, rear seat area, etc... Pretty much got everything except under the front seats and firewall, and had some left over. Get a couple of the bulk packs of Stinger, it'll cover the entire car for sure. ;)

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
That's what I figured Dave. Same concept, simple shit to accomplish it. I'm going to but about 75 linear feet of 1/16" x 36", then I can layer it in as required. I think I can get some really good results

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I have actually used some of the heating insulation. The sticky thin kind. Worked great for sound quality and road noise reduction. Super cheap too! I think I did a full car for less then $100

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
91Supra313;1637345 said:
I have actually used some of the heating insulation. The sticky thin kind. Worked great for sound quality and road noise reduction. Super cheap too! I think I did a full car for less then $100

Can you give me a little bit more info? Name brand or where it can be found?

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Check out B-Quiet, its what was reccomended to me and what I plan on running. I'm planing to use about 150 squarefeet of it, and theres a cupon code online for it aswell. Very cheap for how well it works. Also shipping cost is pretty cheap too. Dynamat is overpriced brandname bs for how much better it may or may not work imo.

I'm planning on getting 3 50ft bulk packs of the extreme, they also offer discounts for buying multiple packs: http://www.b-quiet.com/extreme.html

EDIT: the cupon code is CCA

With the bulk discount and the cupon code shipped in the continental USA for 150 sq feet it comes to $218.

Last edited:

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
rakkasan;1637349 said:
Can you give me a little bit more info? Name brand or where it can be found?

I just went to a heating and AC store and used the insulation they had there. They had some crap that had a sticky backing to it and it went onto the vents to quiet them and keep them from rattling. I have no clue on a brand name since that was over 8 years ago. no reason that you can't get it still since everyone has heat and ac vents in their houses.

pablo94sc

Dec 16, 2009
TN
I used some Peal and Seal from Lowes in the hatch area and inside the rear fenders. It adhesion layer works fairly well as long as you use a roller when installing it, but overall mass is lower than Dynamat so you'll need a couple of layers to really get a thud when you give it a knuckle rap. Overall, for the money I spent ($16/roll) I'd say it's worth it but if you want a less labor intensive install, go with something thicker or specifically designed for car audio.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
i learned the hard way that this stuff is crap.(peel-and seal) buy a product intended for car audio, and keep far away from asphalt-based products, period

use about 25% coverage of a vibration damper(you do not need layer after layer of shiny foil backed rubber covering every square inch of your panels)

a layer of closed-cell foam to act as a decoupler from a top layer of

Mass loaded vinyl, or lead based sheeting. you want complete coverage of this, no holes