Harness problem HELP ASAP!!!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I didn't know where to put this so im put it in general. Mods, if im in the wrong place please move it.

First let me ask a couple of questions about our supra and our harness, including body and engine harnesses. How many engine harness are out there?Does 89 has it own harness or it would be the same as 90 91 and 92 Because im really confused right now. First i aquired a 7mgte with a 5spd harness, it was a 89 with gray plugs, to make things easy since im swapping over for an auto trans i traded the harness with a member on here for a 89+ engine auto turbo harness with gray plugs. So i swapped the harness and ECU. Today, after i had placed the GTE motor in, went over to try ang plug up the ECU, ecu is fine, but BODY harness does not match at all.

There are the same amount of plugs, 6 grays and 1 white. So the white one on the harness is bigger has more wires than the one from the body. Second one is the square plugs in there, on the engine harness it has 13 wire and on the bogy harness it has 16 with one purple dud. Another one was a gray one that has 9 wires sizes of the plugs are different. So idk what to do, we are trying to figgure out if we can cut and match wires to use the same one on the NA engine harness.

So im kind of stumpped. I want to know if the plugs are different because my car doesnt have ABS, Air bag, tems, sunroof, because all i can think of is those plugs are for the rest of the accessories on the car. And 89 and 89+ have different harness? What is the best way for me to do with the one i have.

Thanks in advance!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
fonz87;1188710 said:
maybe the member you bought the harness from did something to the plugs ????

No. 89 is a transitional year. Early 89 and late 89 are different. You have to be careful. If you still have your original motor mounts, that'll help you. Square=early 89. Round=late 89, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I do have round ones. Thats one of the first thing i look at when i first bought the car. i did a little research just now and some one said 91-92 has thier own harness. So, im in a spot where i dont have any extra fund to get another harness and i need the car running asap. Wat is the best way for me to go? Change plugs by looking at each wire via tsrm and hopefully it works?

Last edited:

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
im not really trying to change the body harness just for that. I've been looking at the diagram and possibly doing the hardwiring. Because the harness that i got is in pretty good condition.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
what's strang is i'm having the same problem... the engine i bought has an 89+ harness but the plugs like you described do not mate up with the body harness... my car wont start. sucks am gonna cut wires and do trial and error. let you know if i figure it out. let me know if you fixed it

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
oh i definitely will find out tomorrow when i try to start her up tomorrow when everything is plugged up. I'll let you know