Harness Bar Pics

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
WillieLZG;1501522 said:
So 4pt harness no good because you will slide out but what is stopping us from sliding out all car seatbelts since since nothing is retaining us underneath anyways.

My opinion is that proper 4pt harness will retain you better then stock seatbelt will. As for the titan motorsports bar i was thinking of buying it but now it sounds like it's more like a titan death bar if you get in a accident. So i'll look into the bars design more thoroughly and see whats best for my safety.

a three point harness as standard in cars allows your right shoulder to go forward which prevents your from being sent under the belts. 4 points worn properly can minimize the risk of submarining however there is still the possibility. 4 points do reduce chest loads in impacts but I would prefer to spend the extra twenty bucks to have the 5th harness

anyone looking at installing a bar or a cage should not use stock seats with anything other than stock belts. also if you are installing a harness please read this below

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf

safety is a really big pet peeve of mine. I know some but not enough about the subject and try whenever i can to read up on the newest technology and information.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
what about the tabs for the belts that are like the flat ones but with a bend in them.

ico_103H.jpg

like this but with a 45 degree. if used on the stock 3 point side mounts it sits vertical

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
i know its a little off subject but i know IJ would know the answer. how bout targa bars? what thickness u think would be good enough for that. same? and im also doing the rear sub frame support while im at it. same thickness's?

i ask because im doing a metal run when i get the welder from adam. so i just wanna know if i should just get loads of the 4130

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
northwestsupra;1502553 said:
i know its a little off subject but i know IJ would know the answer. how bout targa bars? what thickness u think would be good enough for that. same? and im also doing the rear sub frame support while im at it. same thickness's?

i ask because im doing a metal run when i get the welder from adam. so i just wanna know if i should just get loads of the 4130

Personally I wouldn't use 4130 I'm not a good enough welder to NOT destroy it, what do you mean by "targa bars"??

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
northwestsupra;1502560 said:
almost 90% of your life is on the threads and you never came across targa bars. oh this is my chance to say it. use the search button haha

I know what they are just wondering why you'd make them from 4130 is all?

Thought you might be thinking they're going to be a major structural component.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
northwestsupra;1502566 said:
im just asking what they should go bout being made of, thickness wise. im not all knowing when it comes to strengths of metals. types. i just know what can and cant be welded lol.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32695&d=1258051529

Looking at that design you could get away with just about anything, they're in compression and tension, there's no torsional component to them so there's no need for them to be ultra strong.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
and i dont know if its a dumb question or not "you know me as a blond as of the moment anyway", but i remember reading alot on strut bars but triangle shaped ones. like what the mustangs use quite often. is there any benifit to having them. i guess stops strut tower side to side and back and forward movement? lookin at my engine i see a turbo being an issue. and also ic pipes.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
IJ.;1502571 said:
Looking at that design you could get away with just about anything, they're in compression and tension, there's no torsional component to them so there's no need for them to be ultra strong.

well there are also the X shape design to. i think those looked more solid personally and in theroy would deal with twisting of the body like going over a speed bump sideways or driving over the criminals body who tried to steal the car.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
I know the Titan Harness Bar isn't recommened by some on here, but would it be okay if I had bucket seats with the five point harness with everything properly installed?

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I guess if all you were doing was autocross meets then why couldn't you just attach the harness to the rear strut bar? That would be the only time I would be wearing the harness. During the daily drives I would just use the stock seat belts, besides I think it is illegal here in SC to be wearing harnesses on the street.