hard top vs. targa top

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
to b moss...anyone who wants to try and outdrive me bring it....ill let you drive my car and use my g-tek and we will test times on my raod :) i can drive very well...im still learning some of the things on the supra...but remember...i drive mr2s and porsches also :)
and i have never rode in a sunroof car...im sure that would be nice...its kind of in the middle between targa and hard top...i just love my hard top ....i guess im one of those guys that cazn feel the rigidity of it and i save as much weight as i posibly can hell i got a hard top with no back seat hahahaha :) :)

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
OneJoeZee said:
HT cars don't provide a fun or enjoyable driving experience?

Of course some do, but its a totally different experience...

That's why most major sports cars offer a convertible option, and in some cases, they are convertible only...

Hell, look at the corvette, the track monster (ZO6) is hardtop only, the convertible is an option only with the LS3, and so is the coupe, but ALL C6 coupes are targa...

The "cheaper" versions are for enjoyment, the Z06 is for sheer speed...

Same with Supras..

I am not personally looking for sheer speed, so I prefer a 5-speed targa NA, not a turbo auto hardtop/sunroof...

6o4turbo

It never ends...
Oct 27, 2005
B.C. Canada
After having owned a sunroof, targa and a hardtop... It's clear all 3 have the strengths and weaknesses.

Though I did have a lot of fun in the summer with the targa and sunroof, I ended up doing my build on the HT, as it's lighter, stronger and is one less thing to worry about.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i have owned both. 86.5 HT and an 88 targa (current) and i have been in 3 of tissimo's cars with targas off and mine with the targa off and my buddy's with the targa off. i hate it. i'm mad that i bought a targa shell.

even with the top on you can feel it flex and creak and moan and groan. i will be ditching my targa shell for a Sunroof 91/92. if i decided to keep my supra after march

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
My brother has a hardtop, and i have a targa. His car is very pleasant to drive, but i would take my targa any day of the week over it. the simple fact is that we in canada do not get many good days of sunlight, but when we do, the scenery plays a million times in the experience.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
suprabad said:
I see why you might think so, but the targa does not create the same single piece connection from the "a pillar" to the "b pillar". Also, the a pillar, roof line and b pillar are critical points of triangulation. I'm not sure that even the targa brace would do it.

Somebody who fabricates racing chasis or a good structural engineer could shed more light on this, but I don't think it's as simple as it might appear to be, and even less simple to fix.

It's a very interesting subject (to me anyway) as to whether the brace would totally compensate for the loss of structural integrity that is lost with the targa. My gut says probably not.

it is an interesting subject, im not saying it is or isnt just raising the question that just because its not one piece doesn't mean its not as rigid, look at the most high end wheels. there all multiple piece, and thats what holds the car to the road with all the shock of uneven surfaces.

to all complaining about adding weight to an already heavy car, get over it. Supras are heavy, if your so concerned about weight because you want a light nimble quick car good for AutoX or drag racing, find another car. the supra weighing 3500lbs is what makes 100mph feel like 35mph. either make more power to compensate or sell your car.

These are Touring cars not sports cars. you want nimble and uncomfortable buy an Elise, you want comfy and powerful keep the supra, you decide.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
targa for the win; its style, class, fun and exotica.

however

hardtop for the win; its function over form, more for spirited driving.

i mean, id totally own a hard top if i didnt care about people looking down on me for skimping out on options and buying a lower level model. i have to hand it to you guys for not caring and doing what you want!

to be honest with you, i liken a hard top supra to a v6 camaro or going to an authentic southern italian restaurant and ordering a chili dog. its kind of missing out on the point of enjoying all that is Supra. i mean, sure maybe you got the turbo model... thats like expecting to get credit for paying your child support; YOU supposed to pay child yo child support!

in all reality, id like my next mk3 to be a power blue 88-89 hard top turbo, 5sp. so im not hatin. fun in the sun will come second to going fast and turning hard.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
flubyux2 said:
i mean, id totally own a hard top if i didnt care about people looking down on me for skimping out on options and buying a lower level model. i have to hand it to you guys for not caring and doing what you want!

to be honest with you, i liken a hard top supra to a v6 camaro or going to an authentic southern italian restaurant and ordering a chili dog. its kind of missing out on the point of enjoying all that is Supra. i mean, sure maybe you got the turbo model... thats like expecting to get credit for paying your child support; YOU supposed to pay child yo child support!

Thats why you have friends with targas:). So you always have someone with a heavier car :)
Personally, I bought the supra as a cheap, rwd, second car to have some fun with. Not for the options (hence why I am removing them).

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
antman said:
What is the weight difference between the two and where is it listed?..................
No one will ever produce these figures, because there is no difference in weight, that's a myth.

Personally, I'll take a Targa anyday over a hardtop, my top rarely ever gets put on my car.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Lance: Compare the Sills and A Pillars between a Targa and a HT.....
(Have seen both as cuts here and the Targas have lots of extra internal reinforcement)

So if there's no difference in weight I want to know what Toyota left out of a Targa to keep it the same ;)

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Unless you plan to rally race your car, Targa top FTW. Nothing comes close to the pimp factor they achive. Chicks dig em and thats all the reason I need to have one.:naughty:

I have yet to have all this targa flex that is so bad. Keep in mind I had a hardtop supra first and feel little difference in the two. Maybe I just don't drive as hard as other people? I guess if I don't it doesn't really matter...I love my Targa.:love: