hard to turn crank

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
okay so i finally started to work on the supra after letting it sit for about 2 months

i go to try and start the car and it won't turn over. by this i mean it sounds like it wants to turn initially but then stops for some reason. so i go and put the car in neutral, turn key to on possition, bypass the clutch and hot wire the starter. i try to start the car and notice that the starter does try to crank but the engine itself seemed to stop the starter. so i unhook everything that i just did and go to try to turn the crank manually and i find out that it is pretty hard to turn at a certain point. what could this be

The car did run the 2 months before this and i even drove it around the block a few times to work out some kinks. the reason i was going to work on it this time was to install a new oil pressure sensor and install a new coolant sensor but i just wanted to fire her up just to hear her alive again...

i thought that initially i also had a bad starter or somehow the starter went bad so i tried another one that i know to be good... no go.. then i tried to hook it up to a running car's battery plus my battery thinking that the starter was not getting enough voltage to crank it over but still it was hung up at a certain point and when i let off the button to turn the starter the crank even moved backwards a little so what could this be? any help would be greatly appreciated!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Since you say the motor ran before, mechanical damage like a broken rod wedging into the block is prolly not likely.

Pull the plugs and try to turn it over by hand, Hopefully you wont find a cylinder full of coolant..............

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The compression stroke is tough to fight through. Pull the plugs and see what happens (as already mentioned).

Might just be a low battery.

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
haha wow its been more than a month since i posted this but nwo i've got a new problem! it cranks but i get no feeling of wanting to turn over it just cranks... any ideas as to what i should be checking? and how to check it? thanks!

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
ignition, fuel, timing. no car will run without them.

you can jumper the fuel pump at the diagnostic block to make sure you are getting fuel at the rail. double check that your CPS is installed correctly (its easy to get it off by a tooth). make sure your coil packs are connected properly, including that little ground wire that everyone forgets.

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
@enraged i'll check those! and i've set up the cps last time i had it running but maybe i can check it again.. and the ground on the coil pack where is that? i don't remember seeing one unless you are talking about the one from the back of the engine to chassis.

@mkiiichip i don't really know what was happening... i pulled the plugs... put in new ones with the right gap i think... btw what is the correct gap i think i set them to about .43 or something like that.. well anyways... and then i tried to start the car after putting everything back and it just started to crank like there is no tomorrow just no how do you say... umph... to get her fired up... so it could be either fuel or spark i'm guessing

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
mizuboi;1545821 said:
haha wow its been more than a month since i posted this but nwo i've got a new problem! it cranks but i get no feeling of wanting to turn over it just cranks... any ideas as to what i should be checking? and how to check it? thanks!

So does it crank over not? I think you mean it doesn't start.

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

mizuboi;1545936 said:
i set them to about .43 or something like that.. well anyways... and then i tried to start the car after putting everything back and it just started to crank like there is no tomorrow just no how do you say... umph... to get her fired up... so it could be either fuel or spark i'm guessing

.43 is nearly half and inch. You probably mean .043 which is way too big.

The compression triangle is spark timing, air/fuel ratio, and compression. If it turns over as easily as you say, do a compression check.

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
@nick it originally did not crank and i'm lead to believe that it was a faulty battery and now its like .43 mm not inches i think i could be wrong but its not that big of a gap.. well if i'm wrong what is the real gap supposed to be? just so i can go back and re adjust and i'll do a compression check just incase

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
i guess my gap was way too large i have the tsrm but in book form but it seems to have different info than the online one... looks like i have to go re-gap my plugs and over the weekend i'll check all my electronics

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
okay so i re-gaped the plugs and put everything back. i did put the ground on the coil too. and it still cranks i do get fuel pressure but no spark now. would the cps being off cause that? and also since it did start last time do you think i still need to pul the cps? and re align? and i'm getting no codes so i'm kinda dumbfounded haha thanks for all your guys help!

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
thanks will do that tomorrow! also i noticed a sound coming from my alternator what could this be? and can it be causing my battery to drain?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Do you have the correct firing order? use the tsrm and do the proper cps testing, such as your in and out signals, rather than just pulling it. If it ran just a few months ago seems hard to believe that things just fell out of time, or misalignment. When you first pulled your plugs how did they look? and smell? was there anything in the cylinder, coolant, oil or fuel?

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Check for codes via TSRM procedure and get back to us...

I dont know why this wasn't done in the first place.

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
I6Boost;1551406 said:
Check for codes via TSRM procedure and get back to us...

I dont know why this wasn't done in the first place.

it has been done.... i've been on here long enough to know that i should check codes.... but i'm a little short on time and need this thing started so i can get her on the road! but anyways does anyone have a clear picture of the diagnostic pinout? i lost the cap and does anyone know how i can jump the fuel pump? just to check if i'm getting fuel? and is there a fast way to check spark? because i think i'm not getting any spark thanks!