Hard to start after radiator explosion?

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
As some of you may know by my posts looking for a new radiator (thanks too_stand) recently my radiator blew up on I-40 I realized this was going to happen about 5 seconds before it shut off when i turned on the heat to feel ice cold air. I have a 3 inch ddp wastegate shimmed to 11 psi and all stock everything else. I'm wondering why the car was so hard to start after letting it cool down for over 24 hours. I have not installed a new radiator yet but just tried to start it a couple times after refilling with coolant as i have a slow leak that only leaks under pressure. I just dont get why i have to crank for a total of 25 seconds or so. and also is there anything else i need to check for other than knock when i get it going again? thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Have you checked for codes? What exactly do you mean by a radiator 'explosion'? Did you get coolant all over your engine? If so, did you clean out the spark plug valley? Did it overheat? If so, did it pop the head gasket at the same time?

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
I have checked for codes i'm getting 41 and 51 but i had those before this. I sprung a leak between the plastic end tank and the metal core of the radiator. Yes i did get coolant all over the lower engine. I did not clean out the valley but coolant didn't get up that high the leak was on the very bottom of the radiator. It did overheat but not too crazy hot and i don't think i blew the head gasket but have not drained the oil since, although i did check under the cap for the foam and dipstick for the milky texture and haven't seen those signs of bhg.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I would pull the plugs and crank it over, check for coolant fouled plugs and such. If i am understanding correctly, you got way too much psi inside the cooling system, which in most cases is caused by combustion gases from bhg. Atleast everytime i have ran into a "radiator explosion" that was the cause. I you chut it down right away, and have not run it alot chances are you will not see the milshake right away. if you drain the oil you will notice or see the coolant come out before oil, if bhg if present.

The symptoms you describe, sound like bhg to me. But i am in no way a pro at the supra yet. But check your basics