Hard time downshifting into 2nd

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I'm wondering what's going on with my transmission here. It some times doesn't likes to downshift into 2nd no matter what speed/rpm I am at. An example being, I pull into my drive way and coast along from maybe 15mph and try to go into 2nd and it wont. I eventually almost come to a dead stop and still it won't go into 2nd. Reving doesn't seem to help it shift, however I noticed if I shift to N, let the clutch out then clutch back in and go to 2nd it seems to work better. When attempting to go into 2nd it makes a sorta whirr noise very faintly and I never try to force or apply pressure to it.

No other gears have a hard time that I've noticed shifting up to 2nd hasn't been an issue. The fluid is fresh MT-90(proper level), MC is bleed(edit:slave also) and from what I can tell the clutch pedal is adjust correctly.

Does that narrow it down to the transmission just needing a rebuild or maybe a bad synchro? Or, could the MC or clutch pedal need some attention? Or maybe I'm just a bad driver lol I only recently swapped to the 5 speed and it's been a learning process. I learned to drive on a stick and ride a motorcycle so I'm certain not new to the idea of changing gears, just re-learning I guess to use my foot for the clutch....

It's an r154 swapped into my na.

Last edited:

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Did you bleed the slave? sounds like a fluid/pressure problem as you say it helps to double clutch.

EDIT: My second gear is a little stiff going in too. but if i apply a little force it usually goes in, without grinds.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
SupraSean;1583877 said:
Did you bleed the slave? sounds like a fluid/pressure problem as you say it helps to double clutch.

EDIT: My second gear is a little stiff going in too. but if i apply a little force it usually goes in, without grinds.

If it were an issue with air in the MC wouldn't every gear be effected? It seems odd to me that it would only be that one particular downshift. Then again I don't know the mysteries surrounding transmissions so I could be wrong ha. I'm also worried about applying a lot of pressure...

I did bleed the MC when I did the swap, I will do it again as it only takes a minute if it has a chance to be the cause of my problem. I just figured that it was ruled out being every other gear is ok.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
im not sure, i dont have to apply a serious amount of force, but more than usual for sure, only thing that i personally can think of as to why only that gear is that maybe that gear has more wear. other than that idk.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
SupraSean;1583894 said:
im not sure, i dont have to apply a serious amount of force, but more than usual for sure, only thing that i personally can think of as to why only that gear is that maybe that gear has more wear. other than that idk.

I'll give bleeding it another shot and maybe give a little more than usual pressure next time to just to see. Still if applying more pressure gets it into gear there's gotta be a reason behind it ha.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Downshifting to 2nd is usually the first "wear" the tranny shows, so it's a bit normal considering the age of these cars...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Poodles;1583904 said:
Downshifting to 2nd is usually the first "wear" the tranny shows, so it's a bit normal considering the age of these cars...

Is it a synchro that causes it or some other internal wear and tear? I guess if it is normal wear and nothing that is going to grenade on me I'm happy. The PO said it was recently rebuilt(backed up with receipts actually) but who knows, I didn't pay that much for the r154 considering and expected a rebuild in it's future.

I just wasn't sure if I was doing it wrong or maybe there was something easy to look into. I know the fluid that I drained out looked pretty thin and dark. I didn't flush the old stuff out just let it drain over night then refilled with the mt-90(which looks new still).

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
My 2nd gear doesn't go in easy in the morning until I drive down my driveway to get the MT-90 spinning around in the case. After about 500ft or so my 2nd gear works like a charm.

I would double/tripple check your fluid level, and make sure your on level ground :)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Poodles;1583932 said:
Syncro... Or of course your clutch pedal isn't adjusted correctly.

I'm pretty sure my pedal is adjust correctly but the diagram(TSRM) as simple as it maybe I don't fully get where to measure. I wish someone could post a pic with the ruler in the proper place to measure in regards to the pedal and the floor.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Freshmaker;1583949 said:
My 2nd gear doesn't go in easy in the morning until I drive down my driveway to get the MT-90 spinning around in the case. After about 500ft or so my 2nd gear works like a charm.

I would double/tripple check your fluid level, and make sure your on level ground :)

Fluid level is right at the fill hole, lowered on the ground in my level garage.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Stock shifter or aftermarket short shifter? Since i instaled a short shifter, sometimes it's hard to downshift to 2nd gear too. That only happens in low revs. If i keep revs higher then usual, it downshifts without any problems. As far as i know, the trany was overhauled or rebuilt, but i can't confirm that. Just livin' with that and thats all.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
enjoyer;1584135 said:
Stock shifter or aftermarket short shifter? Since i instaled a short shifter, sometimes it's hard to downshift to 2nd gear too. That only happens in low revs. If i keep revs higher then usual, it downshifts without any problems. As far as i know, the trany was overhauled or rebuilt, but i can't confirm that. Just livin' with that and thats all.

I should have put that in my original post, it is a stock shifter with new marlin crawler bushings.

Frequency24_7

Jun 22, 2010
St. Charles, MO
I was having the same issue with 2nd gear in my R154 after I replaced the MT-90. I checked the fluid level it was fine a friend suggested I take some of the MT-90 and replace it with an additive we used LUCAS. It helped out quite a bit in smoothing out my shifts up and down to 2nd. Im due for a fluid change soon and going to go with Cobra Valley products a friend of mine had good luck with them.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Freshmaker;1583949 said:

Mines kinda like that. The first shift into 2nd is always funny cold unless im going slow.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Poodles;1583904 said:

Yep. It is the most abused. Hard 1-2 upshift, and 3-2 downshift.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
iwannadie;1587170 said:
Rev matching doesn't help my situation. I was looking for a cause to the problem more than a band aid really...
The cause is the synchro, the cheapest and fastest solution is to learn how to rev match and double clutch down shifts.