H&R springs sagging?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Everyone told me my H&R's would settle and would be lower than when i intially put them on. I measured the day when i put them on (Mid January) its April now and the ride height hasnt changed one bit from when i put them.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Poodles;1544677 said:
Because the car hasn't re-settled. The bumpstop doesn't contact the spring or the moving part of the shock (unless you bottom out) and will have no effect. If it's split like that, it's probably taken a beating, how good is the shock?

If the new shock hasn't re-settled, then how do you explain the ride height improving on the passenger side? That one was starting to sag a bit as well. I didn't replace the shock there, just the bump stop and that one had more clearance as well.

Both shocks are Bilsteins and they both have just as much stiffness as a new shock.

I don't know why we are still debating this... I replaced ONLY the shock the first time, and nothing improved. NOTHING. I then took the (new) shock back out, and replaced the bump stop. Ride height improved by at least half an inch.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My "guess" is you're doing up the control arms at droop and not with the car's weight on them so it's preloading the bush/arm unevenly as it tries to tear the centres out.....

Poo is 100% correct the bumpstops have 0 effect at normal ride height, this time it's true because I'm telling you so...

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Poodles;1544488 said:
Bump stop will have zero effect on ride height... Unless you pressed them all the way down against the shock body where friction could potentially hold the shock up.

Contrary to popular belief, blown shocks do effect right height though.

Ahh that's exactly what i thought, the bump stops has no effect on ride height at all. That's not even they're purpose.

Thanks for clearing that up Poodles.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Update to this thread...

I've replaced the following

Shock
Spring hat insulators
bump stops
lower ball joints

and got an alignment. I still maintain the bump stops helped the ride height, but that's only because the old ones were so shredded. It didn't get it back up to normal height though, so hopefully that clears things up.

Ride height has improved to where it's not rubbing, but It's still not back to normal. Control arm bushings are in good shape.

I've had the car looked at by both BigZavs and Supraguy88t, and we've got no other ideas.

Any more help or ideas are appreciated. I'm almost at the point to where I might just try replacing the front H&R springs to see if somehow i managed to make them sag, lol.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
How low is it?

My h&r's settled after like 2 weeks of driving about half an inch - 1 inch.

Bump stops are only there so you dont bottom out the shock. Usually your supposed to cut them in half when you lower vehicles. You could be bottoming out your shocks which cracked your bump stop which when you put the new one in it raised it. Still would not mean bump stops raise vehicles.

Your on height adj bilsteins? I have those and eibachs now and have the rear on the lowest setting and the front on the highest and the fenders are about where the top of the tire is just like h&r's.

Maybe you got a defect that the factory missed.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Well I've heard here and there that some older H&R's used to sag. who knows if that's true or not. But no one who's looked at it seems to have any idea why it's still sagging.

I'll try to get pictures soon (camera isn't quite working right) but I can barely get a finger between the tire and the fender if i bend it. A straight index finger will not get through on the drivers side.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
If a spring truly does "sag", it is time for new springs, since it has physically deformed (yielded or cracked and yielded) and the springs are being used far too close to their maximum yield strength. There is no time-dependant "sagging" process which will happen from normal, "correct" (e.g. proper spring strength and rate) use. Any sagging experienced is, as mentioned previously, likely a result of settling of rubber mounts or improperly bolted bushings.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
Free length and spring rate measurements would put this issue to rest. Take the springs off and measure their free length, off of the shock. Next apply some weight onto the spring (make sure you know how much) and measure the deflection of the spring. It does not have to be super accurate. report your results here. If the springs have indeed changed I would be curious to hear H&Rs response.