H&R springs sagging?

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
I've got a problem on my drivers side front wheel. The fender sags over the tire, so my tire rubs almost every time I turn.

I'm using Bilstein shocks on the highest setting, and H&R springs. I tried replacing the shock, but it still sags.

Any ideas what else might be causing this? I think it started doing this after a day of autocross practice (surprise surprise).

Any help is appreciated. I tried searching but couldn't find anything helpful.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
Pictures of the wheel well would help. If your mechanically oriented you can just pull the front shocks and measure the spring free lengths and compare them to see if one is off. I dont see that being an issue since H&R springs are good quality.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
supraguru05;1539659 said:
Pictures of the wheel well would help. If your mechanically oriented you can just pull the front shocks and measure the spring free lengths and compare them to see if one is off. I dont see that being an issue since H&R springs are good quality.

I ordered new bump stops which i plan on putting in tomorrow, so I'll probably try that...

Only reason i ask is because I remember someone writing a review of H&R springs (can't remember where or for what car) and saying that his started to sag over time, but who knows what else was going on there.

Poodles - a friend of mine mentioned it could be the A-arm bushings.... but I wouldn't know what to look for personally.... plan on getting it worked on Tuesday so hopefully I can find the problem.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've had my H&R's on for 15 plus years and they seem fine to me, but I do put the car up on stands every winter too.

I once thought I had a sagging spring on the drivers side just like you. I have the same struts too, bilstiens. My drivers side was about 1cm lower than the passenger side and in the end it turned out to be the rubber cushion at the top had crushed up more than the passenger side for some reason. I replaced em both and all was good.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Follow up - Changed the bump stops out today, and miraculously the car is back to normal ride height. The drivers side bump stop was completely cracked down the middle.... Passenger side wasn't too far behind. I'll post pics a little later.

just for good measure I'm also gonna change the spring hat insulators as per Flateric and Derek's advice... My drivers side is still a little lower than the passenger side (surprise surprise).

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
My driver's side tire still rubs on big dips, but i can turn the wheel both ways to lock, while driving on smooth pavement, without any problem. I have a suspicion that once i replace the spring hat insulators it will return to a normal clearance.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
anybody have pics of these rubber cushions? i dont remember any when i was replacing springs and shocks, also, bump stops dont affect height right? or am i missing something?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
p1542387_1.jpg

p1542387_2.jpg

and the bump stops do make a difference. Steven89's bumpstops pretty much shredded up somehow and his RS*R Race springs which only lower the front 1.3" slammed him ride tucking the stock 16" wheels. Same springs on another car with good bumpstops the ride height returns to where its supposed to be.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
thanks that is really help full, my front is sagging and its been bothering me for a while, i have new eibachs, yellow konis and poly urethane bushings from energy suspension, by the way where did you get that new rubber spring pillow- from toyota? how much were they?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Yeah from Toyota they were expensive i think $30 each and they are backordered i had to wait like a month before they came in

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
ok thanks ill be pulling off my front shocks in the near future to check, also one more thing, by bump stops guys you mean the rubber pieces on top of the shock that also work as a dust/dirt gaurd, correct?

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Here's a link to the Bump stops I'm using. KYB calls 'em Strut boots. The front ones fit nicely even with aftermarket springs.

Kyb Strut Boot

As of this point I'm still waiting for those pads to arrive. Champion hasn't charged me yet, so i assume that means they've not shipped. They were special order and they said it would take 1-3 days for them to arrive at Champion before they sent them out.

Hopefully they were actually in stock at another location like they told me. I think they were like $16 each.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Bump stop will have zero effect on ride height... Unless you pressed them all the way down against the shock body where friction could potentially hold the shock up.

Contrary to popular belief, blown shocks do effect right height though.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Poodles;1544488 said:
Bump stop will have zero effect on ride height... Unless you pressed them all the way down against the shock body where friction could potentially hold the shock up.

Contrary to popular belief, blown shocks do effect right height though.

You can sit there and tell me that, but that doesn't make it true.

I replaced the shock and nothing improved. Then i replaced the torn up bump stops (on both sides) and the ride height improved. It didn't improve by much but it did improve.

p1544674_1.jpg

The bump stop on the left was on my drivers side.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Because the car hasn't re-settled. The bumpstop doesn't contact the spring or the moving part of the shock (unless you bottom out) and will have no effect. If it's split like that, it's probably taken a beating, how good is the shock?