H&R + koni yellow = dump

QuebecmkIII

Jan 27, 2009
quebec
Hi here,
I decided to create that post just to prevent some potential future buyer who look for that setup like me.
My previous setup with some generic spring and GR2 shocks was very bouncy so I decided to change that shit to take some linear springs but, to bad, the rsr street are discontinued.
So I decided to go with new H&R springs and mix that with +-7-8000 milles koni yellow who look like new.(adjusted to maybe 1/4 to the full stiff to avoid a bouncy ride)
I live in Quebec so the road are not new like in Dubai but, I can say it's the worst ride I never run... Very bouncy and too much tight, that ride is pure shit.
I don't know who call the shot that the Koni yellow are quality but sorry, I can't recommand that dubious product. For sure the springs are not in my love book to...
Go Coilover and don't lose your time!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I had Koni Yellows on my 88 for about 18 months, paired with Eibach springs. Can't comment on the springs you have, but I'd say your struts might be bad. My Konis were far from bouncy, definitely stiff, if that's what you mean by bouncy. That setup kept my car as tight as a cat pouncing on its prey...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I had h and r for almost 2 years with tokico blues. Never had an issue.

The had some travel and way more than my coilovers.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
The lack of travel is my ONLY complaint about my coilovers. It's not hard to get wheels off the ground in my car on some of the bumps and dips in the road around here... Is there a way to fix the travel of the suspension while retaining a low ride height?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Same here. I've gotten stuck twice and had push the car out of a drive way. Wish I got a picture.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
te72;1842364 said:
The lack of travel is my ONLY complaint about my coilovers. It's not hard to get wheels off the ground in my car on some of the bumps and dips in the road around here... Is there a way to fix the travel of the suspension while retaining a low ride height?

Massive suspension changes (like on rally cars)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
About what I figured would be the case. Oh well, it's not enough of an issue to go that far off the deep end for me. :)

sylquebec

Mar 23, 2008
Quebec
i agree with him about the bouncy ride. I had a koni yellow + eibach setup before my hsd coilover and it was bouncy as hell but not hard as a rock...
I dont know if its the progressive spring or not... many owner seem to enjoy their ride with that type of spring, this is what is confusing me...

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I had Eibach pro-kit in my car, the ride was alright. Not horrible but not the smoothest either. was on KYB GR2.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i just did h&r race springs with kyb gr2's. they were supposed to be a 1.5 inch drop front and back, but the fronts are like 2.5 and the rear 1.5.
it's not horrible, but there's definitely some rake going on here.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
13 years on Koni Yellow's and that was NOT my experience...:nono:

Need to keep in mind they're valved for the stock spring rate, most aftermarket springs will be +25% on the rate and this DOESN'T equal winding the shock to it's max and backing it off 1/4 turn... geee wonder why it was stiff...

When I had my own Koni Yellow coilovers built we had them on the shock dyno to match the valving to the Eibach springs I chose, perfect result with +- 1 turn making a HUGE difference in the ride.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
kind of off topic.... what are everyone's feelings on cutting a coil off the rear springs? the front of my car is a good inch lower than the rear. i figured it would help level it and hopefully not hurt anything.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Better off if you can find some springs, cutting a coil will raise the rate and often if you don't have adjustable dampers it puts the combo outside of what can be controlled and you end up with a pogo stick.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
here's my question IJ. if the top 5 coils are touching, what would it hurt to cut 1 or 2 off? i just looked under the car, and the top 5 are totally flat against each other. i can't see them having anything to do with the actual spring, other than the height.