Gwydre's 7mGE BHG job

Gwydre

Wild Orange
Feb 10, 2007
The Woodlands, Texas
alright well after a few weeks of sitting in my garage waiting for me to get started on her I couldn't stand to let the car sit any longer. Blew a headgasket a month or so back during an overheat that my mechanic and I think was caused by a cracked radiator.
The car's an '88 7mGE, had a couple owners before me and isn't my first supra, although this is the first serious mechanical endeavor I've ever tackled. When my mechanic gave me the estimated $2000 bill for the headgasket replacement I decided to take it on myself.
I'm 17, and have very little knowledge of engine mechanics, but I read a lot on here and am following what guides I have found quite specifically. Suprarx7nut's BHG thread has helped immensly so far, so I've tried to follow his steps pretty closely, along the with TSRM.

Here's what she looks like without the hood (Dirty I know, I'm taking this chance to clean up the previous owners' messes.)
p1070876_1.jpg

Took off the flashy blue swaybar and the intake accordion
p1070876_2.jpg

Removed the 02 sensor and the exhaust shields
p1070876_3.jpg

Now I'm waiting on some jackstands in order to drain the coolant and such, as well as to allow me to make a few other mods on the way. Planning on replacing the HKS exhuast the previous owner had put on with a Tanabe catback :icon_razz , and some other small things.

when I took the hood off, I noticed this little piece sittting on the upper lefthand corner of the engine bay, looking at it from the front, and I have no idea what it is... help please!?
p1070876_4.jpg