Guys using a Q45 throttle body on the stock ECU - Question

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
adampecush;1388929 said:
that would work perfectly....aside from the fact that the q45 tps pulls the other direction. It does however give me everything I need to have something similar machined.

If you are going to go standalone, I would hold off spending more $ in trying to resolve this issue. Once I switched to a standalone, that issue pretty much went away, or became much much more tolerable (it's been a while)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
it took me ~30 minutes to CAD a TB wheel and will cost me a case of beer to have NC machined...so for the time being, it is an easy fix.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
adampecush;1389031 said:
it took me ~30 minutes to CAD a TB wheel and will cost me a case of beer to have NC machined...so for the time being, it is an easy fix.

An eccentric wheel? Make that 2 if you have it done...I'll pay for 2 cases of beer ;)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
adam

the question is it the dimensions correct to help or hinder low throttle response? ;) If you over do it, might lead to really sluggish response down low. Under do it and still in the same boat. Doing more than one?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
figgie;1393895 said:
adam

the question is it the dimensions correct to help or hinder low throttle response? ;) If you over do it, might lead to really sluggish response down low. Under do it and still in the same boat. Doing more than one?

It is unlikely that I'll be getting it right on the first try so chances are I'll be doing more than one... I'm going to experiment with some set screws inserted into the stock q45 linkage to attempt to get a feel for the correct dimensions while the new arm is being made.

Hopefully the new throttle arm will be out of the machine shop next week...

dejacky

Jun 12, 2005
"taxus"
I'm interested as well, but want the final version. I don't want to beta test prototypes :naughty:. Please post the results of different sized eccentric wheels so we can all learn from your efforts and feel more comfortable buying your product :).

iceberg319

vvti, what?
Apr 6, 2005
NJ
www.cardomain.com
have you looked at your a/f under part throttle?

i noticed mine is pretty lean....im assuming this is because the TB is so big and the ecu cant account for all the extra air

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
iceberg319;1396815 said:

i noticed mine is pretty lean....im assuming this is because the TB is so big and the ecu cant account for all the extra air

I don't think this has all that much to do with the TB size as the AFM is still monitoring the amount of air drawn into the engine. My partial (low) throttle AFs never really get above 14.8:1.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
iceberg319;1396815 said:

The moment the ecu can't account for air then it fuel cuts...even then it still knows what's going on.....your lean condition could very well be EGR or fuel pressure related.

iceberg319

vvti, what?
Apr 6, 2005
NJ
www.cardomain.com
yea its probably something else, ill check for vac leaks and ill double check my tps once again

funny thing is, its only <10&#37; throttle, anything more its normal and when i get on it...it goes pig rich as usual

thanks

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Now that I am used to my throttle response with the Q45 TB, it is less of an issue. Initially i thought that something was wrong with the TPS but its just the way it is. I would be interested in one of those TB wheels as well if you end up making more than one....

DL.

Fast
Sep 12, 2005
SE Wisconsin
I have been dealing with this issue forever also. I do agree that stand alone helps (alot) but this is a awesome cure!!! I would be in for one for sure also!

Flywest

May 31, 2005
Quebec , Canada
Count me in also, I'm tired of having to be extra touchy on the throttle, on the open road its not much of an issue but around town and in traffic, it *sucks* even though I've become quite good at controlling it.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
for those wondering, my machine shop is currently quite busy, so I have yet to receive a prototype. Hopefully I'll see something next week.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
here it is, better late than never I suppose.

p1438957_1.jpg

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I'm hoping I can get this on the car and take it out for a spin in the next week or so...otherwise testing will happen in spring. As you can see, the bolt hole was machined a tad "long", but this will allow for fine tuning of the throttle response (or hood clearance) by moving the wheel up and down.

I've got a shop that can make them...just need to get a few more people together to do a small run.