686supra

SupraBoarder
Jul 22, 2006
Parksville, BC, Canada
hi my name is jeremy a purchased a 1989 toyota supra turbo
about a month ago and i have recently noticed a noise when i start it up in
the morning when i head to work
it has a gurgling noise behind the dash for about 5-10 seconds and then
it goes away. Is this a blown head gasket. Is there any way i can find out with out having to spend lots of money. I can not do a home compression test i do not have the tools or know how for that matter

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
run down to napa and grab a block tester kit, it will tell you if exhaust gas is in the coolant. if yes, bhg. (most of the time, could be a few other things)

Does it overheat? low on coolant?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
my supra does the exact same thing....on hot days durring the summer it doesn't do it...but now that it's starting to cool off it's back to the waterfall sound....after about 2 minuets it goes away if that.....I add water to the system maybe every 4 months so I'm not worried and I keep a very close eye on my oil...car has done this ever sense I owned it.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I used to get this with my old 7m and in the end it turned out that it was nothing more than my cooling system needing to be "burped".

Basically had an air bubble caught in the system after refilling my coolant.

I would (when cold) open my rad up and vigorously swueeze and sorta pump the upper rad hose and sure enough alot of bubbling and such would bring the level down. Then add coolant, repeat and add coolant.

Hope this helps.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
ya you just have some air in there,.. doesnt mean you have bhg.. just try burping the car and see what happens before you compression test it.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
I had this problem as well. Sometimes it wouldnt go away sometimes it would. I tried burping it several times. Didnt work!

Turns out it was the early stages of a BHG (which i now just replaced) and havnt heard a damn thing since!:)

car wasnt overheating before but it runs a lot cooler now.

686supra

SupraBoarder
Jul 22, 2006
Parksville, BC, Canada
my oil pressure gauge runs at about 2 all the time and goes up not alot
i hope i just need to burp her and she will be all good thanks for the info :)
i will check all of the above

686supra

SupraBoarder
Jul 22, 2006
Parksville, BC, Canada
forgot to mention, also high idle in the morning, around 1.3, 1.4 rpm then drops down to about 900-1000 rpm... once warmed up and idle around 1000 then drop to around 6-700 rpm?? does not seem right to me.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
any loss of power? did it do it when you bought it? i had same waterfall noise but i noticed quite a bit of a power loss and i new it was a bhg. block test is cheap and easy and will tell you for sure.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
686supra;1138640 said:
forgot to mention, also high idle in the morning, around 1.3, 1.4 rpm then drops down to about 900-1000 rpm... once warmed up and idle around 1000 then drop to around 6-700 rpm?? does not seem right to me.

it's normal.

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
Thats just your car coming off the cold start injector. It add's fuel until a certain temp is reached and then stops. Its like the choke in older cars. Choke would cut off air to make the car run richer, and the cold start just adds fuel to make the mixture richer. It should start higher revving, then drop to idle speed after a few min. You should always let your car warm up to avoid damage from low oil pressure by the way.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
rawmk3;1138913 said:
Thats just your car coming off the cold start injector. It add's fuel until a certain temp is reached and then stops.

That's outright wrong. If you don't know what you're talking about you should refrain from posting in the tech section. We have enough misinformation around here as it is...

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
jetjock;1139599 said:
That's outright wrong. If you don't know what you're talking about you should refrain from posting in the tech section. We have enough misinformation around here as it is...

Then please explain as to what the purpose of the cold start injector is? Because from my readings i find that its there to add fuel in a cold start situation when the air is more dense and thus able to pack extra air into there, possibly causing a lean mix. Since there is not an idle air temperature sensor on the car. And once the engine reaches a certain temperature the cold start injector isnt needed because the engine heat is sufficient enough to warm the incoming air to a metered point. Which is why cold weather is turbo weather, and hot weather you tend to run slightly richer. Hot air is less dense, and thus takes more boost to put as much air in as cold air. But that is just what I gathered from my readings, and a few other ASE cert. mechanics. guess none of us know what we are talking about. Please educate us.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You're wrong. Period. Educate yourself by learning to read a schematic. Since I've noticed you've peppered the forum with several other questionable posts I'll say it again: if you don't know what you're talking about refrain from posting in Tech unless you actually want to be called on the misinformation you're offering. Don't know why you'd want that though as it always leads to bad things...

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
jetjock;1139637 said:
You're wrong. Period. Educate yourself by learning to read a schematic. Since I've noticed you've peppered the forum with several other questionable posts I'll say it again: if you don't know what you're talking about refrain from posting in Tech unless you actually want to be called on the misinformation you're offering. Don't know why you'd want that though as it always leads to bad things...

You know what you can tell me im wrong all you want. When you actually explain the purpose of the cold start injector and prove you know what your talking about then I may listen. But coming back with YOUR WRONG, plain and simple. Well I guess that is going to make me rush back out to go back to school to recertify myself as an ASE mechanic, cause evidently I missed something. Im going to register to go back to UTI online right now cause you told me I'm wrong with no supporting information.