Guess My Horsepower

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Hey Everyone. I am currently getting my motor built at a local performance shop. I wanted to take some guesses on how much power it's going to put out. Here is the current mod list that dynoed out at 402rwhp/408rwtq at 16 psi. I am pretty sure that I had some compression issues during these dyno pulls...and it was done in 95 degree heat with about the same humidity.

o JT62 P-Trim Turbo
o K&N Filter Charger Cone Intake System
o 3” Option Import Divorced Dowpipe
o 3” Random Technology High-Flow Cat
o 3” HKS turbo exhaust (Resonator Eliminated)
o HKS Metal HG
o ARP Headbolts/Studes
o TRD Timing Belt
o Piller Pod
o AEM True Boost Gauge
o AEM Oil Pressure Gauge
o AEM True Boost Controller
o AEM Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
o XO2 Spearco Front Mount Intercooler w/ 2.5” Core
o LIPP 2.5” IC hardpipes
o HKS SSQV 3 BOV
o DCP Transmission Oil Cooler w/ Electric Thermostat Fan
o Custom Oil Stainless Lines
o Tomei Type S Fuel Pressure Regulator
o Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
o AEM Wideband
o Stainless Fuel Lines with B&M Pressure Gauge
o Lexus V8 AFM
o RC Engineering 550cc Injectors
o Removed A/C
o Greddy/JEGS Oil Relocation Kit Combo
o Shimmed automatic transmission 1/2 & 2/3 accumulators (quick shift mod)
o Built a340e Tranny with Raybestos Blues, Torque Converter, Moderate to High Stall etc etc...
o 4" Polished Stainless Turbo Inlet Pipe (afm delete)
o VPC
o SAFC 1
o Power Steering relocation
o Tune to 11.5 max a/f

Guess the horsepower with these changes being made:

o Eagle Rods
o Wiseco Pistons
o 2mm HKS HG
o ARPS
o King Bearings
o AEM EMS

The tune/dyno will take place the second weekend of April and will be for about 11 to 11.5 a/f at 16psi. Timing may also be adjusted.

gttwinturbomk3

May 17, 2007
New Zealand
If your now rebuilding the bottom end which it seems so..... then, you are best to do cams and springs a bit of head work port up and polish get it to flow better larger squirters run too walbros not one and you should see 500hp on the wheels. Provided your turbo is big enough and you can run 18-20psi boost adjust timing more advance, and afr around 11.5-12.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The only change is a fresh bottom end and tuning. Unless you have massive blowby now, the change will be minimal.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
The only change you're doing forged pistons, and a stand alone. If you're still tuning at 16psi 11.5:1 then I don't see any kinda change either. That turbo is capable of alot more than 16psi. And with your new forged pistons and EMS I would take advantage of it.

How do you know your last engine was down on compression? Did you do a compression test yourself? Did that same performance shop tell you you needed it done?

Nihiliz

Die Hard Supra Fan
Jul 23, 2007
United States
www.facebook.com
i dont see much of a change, just maybe the car will run better (with the tune) when you build a bottem end you dont build it to make preformance,. you build it to be able to handle the preformance. (thats where head work comes into play xd)

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Suprapowaz!(2);1811901 said:
The only change you're doing forged pistons, and a stand alone. If you're still tuning at 16psi 11.5:1 then I don't see any kinda change either. That turbo is capable of alot more than 16psi. And with your new forged pistons and EMS I would take advantage of it.

How do you know your last engine was down on compression? Did you do a compression test yourself? Did that same performance shop tell you you needed it done?

I did the compression test...and doubted myself. So I took it to a friend who has a compression tester...tested it again...same results. Then I took it to the performance shop and did a leak down test (same results as before), used a camera scope, and saw the rings and the scarring on the piston walls.

I did not really expect to get a tone more HP, but wanted to know what you guys thought. The point for me actually building the bottom end was to prevent me running into more problems with this setup. I might turn the boost up, but I'll go through all that with the tuner when it comes time.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I don't see why you couldn't hit 500whp... id' say get some methanol and up the boost! make sure to do your research and tune her right though (obviously)

oh... those gauges aren't gonna add any power:icon_wink

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
89jdm7m;1812062 said:
I don't see why you couldn't hit 500whp... id' say get some methanol and up the boost! make sure to do your research and tune her right though (obviously)

oh... those gauges aren't gonna add any power:icon_wink

Thanks for clarifying.....although some might argue that w/o gauges more power isn't a good idea....and just for the sake of arguing....my trueboost is both a boost gauge and controller, which does in fact increase power.

IJ.;1812070 said:
403rwhp once then around the 235 mark knocking.... King bearings .. :nono:

Did you have a bad experience with King Bearings?

K_SHAN

don't taze me bro!
Jul 3, 2009
eagle, IDAHO!
550cc injectors... I don't even need to see anything else to know its nothing to write home about power wise lol

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
K_SHAN;1812144 said:
550cc injectors... I don't even need to see anything else to know its nothing to write home about power wise lol

What is the purpose of this remark?

...and how is the relevant to the topic of this thread?

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
IJ.;1812160 said:
All depends on which Kings you used, TriMetals are sort of ok.. BiMetals are a failure waiting to happen.

I wouldn't use them in a lawnmower..

So...in spending a couple of hours doing research last night....King bearings are hit/miss it seems. Now...it's hard to tell exactly what power range they become less reliable at. On the other hand, I see people recommending Cleavitte and NDC...and even just using the OEM...

Can you steer me in the right direction here IJ?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I'd say around 420-430 rwhp range depending on the MHG thickness difference and just how badly the walls were scarred. Fine tuning with the EMS and a fresh block will give a few more numbers but I wouldn't expect an eye opening change.

Now if you decide to up the boost..:naughty:

Nihiliz

Die Hard Supra Fan
Jul 23, 2007
United States
www.facebook.com
Supra0089;1812325 said:
So...in spending a couple of hours doing research last night....King bearings are hit/miss it seems. Now...it's hard to tell exactly what power range they become less reliable at. On the other hand, I see people recommending Cleavitte and NDC...and even just using the OEM...

If you want good bearings, i would get ACL Duraglides. im not a fan of clevite bearings, (each built 7m with clevites i had developed rodknock) i wish they made ACL Race Series for the 7mgte, but unfortuntuly they dont make them for the 7mgte anymore due to lack of demand :(, even ACL Duraglides are becoming hard/rare to find anymore.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Nihiliz;1812403 said:
If you want good bearings, i would get ACL Duraglides. im not a fan of clevite bearings, (each built 7m with clevites i had developed rodknock) i wish they made ACL Race Series for the 7mgte, but unfortuntuly they dont make them for the 7mgte anymore due to lack of demand :(, even ACL Duraglides are becoming hard/rare to find anymore.

I've spent the last 2 hours searching for Duraglides...and can't find any anywhere....

I found ACL's for sale on ebay with a Duraglide picture...but the description says that it's oem specs only and not the same as the picture.

My performance shop cannot find them with his suppliers...

So...anyone got any suggestions where to find ACL Duraglides?

Alternatives that I see are: Clevitte at Suprastore.come or suprasport.com, or powerenterprise bearings at MVPmotorsports.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Supra0089;1812325 said:

ACL don't do a performance bearing for the M Engines, their standard bearing is ok for a stock rebuild I wouldn't use it for anything above that.

Clevites are a lucky dip as to what's going to be in the box, used to be NDC's now I believe it's FedMogul's, I've used NDC's many times with good success, Fed Mog's when I couldn't get the right undersize in NDC's and they seemed to hold up well.