Guages not Working

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
My gauges in my supra were randomly working and then stopping, then working again, for about a week now. Today they quit working all together. The gauges, the climate control, the rear defroster, and the windows all quit working.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Ummm first and formost, check the GAUGE fuse.. in the kick panel as it handle all those except for the windows IIRC....

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Did you pull the fuse and look at it? Check for corrosion on the spades?

Another place to check is J/B #3...a lot of the connections to the non-working items to the harness are there.

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
Ok, i Removed the fuse, it looks to be in perfect condition. however since I had it out I figured I might as well replace it. While I was down there (very tight area btw) I made sure all of the wiring connectors were pressed tightly in place. I also found several cut wires dangling down there, I think the PO may have had a security system installed.

After all of this I started the car and my gauges worked just fine, lol. Next I need to trace down the cut wires and see where they go.

Thanks for all of your help

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
LOL! sounds like my car. PO had a kill switch on the starter relay ghetto wired in down there. Found lots of scary wires hanging about when I went to install a turbo timer.:3d_frown: took me half a day to fix that and the wonderful audio work he had done with tape and twist connecters...

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Check the gauge fuse in the driver's kick panel

Since I'm a "newber" and you guys know alot,please tell me how a fuse would cause an intermitant short

Thanks,... trying to learn.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
^---well, if the fuse is popped, then there's no current passing through..

I've seen people break fuses open and bend the tabs back together to avoid getting a new one (pure laziness)...

scary shit..

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Koenigturbo;1218509 said:
Check the gauge fuse in the driver's kick panel.

Been said a few times now ;)

Koenigturbo said:
Since I'm a "newber" and you guys know alot,please tell me how a fuse would cause an intermitant short

Thanks,... trying to learn.

A fuse is used to protect wiring from a short that would otherwise cause the wire to heat up and burn through...this could easily start a fire. Even an intermittent short will pop a fuse. As stated, you should never "rig" or replace a fuse with a higher Amp rating if the rated fuse pops...you are asking to burn up the harness. Corrosion or a bad terminal connection on the other hand can cause intermittent component operation due to disruption of current.