Guage cluster and climate control lights turn off when head lights are on

surferofthesnow

Feb 14, 2008
Ketchum, ID
My gauge cluster lights do not work. I've checked that they were plugged in and I checked the fuses. The climate control lights turn off when the headlights are turned on. What could this be? I searched already and tried their solutions, but none have worked as of yet.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Rheostat not plugged in, turned down all the way, or broken.

Check that it's not turned down, check that it's plugged in, then try replacing it.

If none of these things fixes it, chances are you have some wiring issues.

Jeff

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
surferofthesnow;1302298 said:
My gauge cluster lights do not work. I've checked that they were plugged in and I checked the fuses. The climate control lights turn off when the headlights are turned on. What could this be? I searched already and tried their solutions, but none have worked as of yet.

That happened to me about a year ago and it was the dimmer switch.

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
That happened to me also, Felt really really stupid after i figured out my dimmer was all the way down. I hate where it is, me knee always turns it towards the off position when i get out of the car.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
T-MA71;1302348 said:
That happened to me also, Felt really really stupid after i figured out my dimmer was all the way down. I hate where it is, me knee always turns it towards the off position when i get out of the car.

Sorry i didn't make it clear. The dimmer was broken and i had to replace it. :biglaugh:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
T-MA71;1302348 said:

that's why I'm switching to a 90+ panel on my 89...

the dimmer switch is moved to where the rear window defroster went (which moves one slot to the left, next to the fog switch), and the lower panel overlaps where the old panel used to be, looks more complete in my eyes..

here's a pic of the panel I bought (hope the guy I bought it off of doesnt mind..!)

l_775b47ee0f7a2601886c0c777df7c769.jpg

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
RazoE;1302397 said:
that's why I'm switching to a 90+ panel on my 89...

the dimmer switch is moved to where the rear window defroster went (which moves one slot to the left, next to the fog switch), and the lower panel overlaps where the old panel used to be, looks more complete in my eyes..

here's a pic of the panel I bought (hope the guy I bought it off of doesnt mind..!)

l_775b47ee0f7a2601886c0c777df7c769.jpg

Oh wow, that looks so much better. Maybe i should start looking for one of these. I absolutley hate the one i have.

I'm assuming it all plug and play?

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
I have had the same problem since I bought my car. All the accessory lights work, blinker indicators, brights, all the gauges everything just the back lights don't work. Also the Climate control lights work with the lights off but don't with the lights on. I have tried 3 different dimmer switchs and nothing. I also pulled the dash apart and seem to be getting power where I need it, maybe a short in the circuit board?

Seth

turbogeek87

turbogeek87
Mar 29, 2006
Juneau, AK
I'm having the same issue. A new dimmer switch did not solve the problem. I'm getting weird effects like the turn signal indicators and the bright indicators coming on and the dimmer switch will dim them even though the brights and turn signals are off. Does anybody know if you can get just the gage cluster circuit board from Toyota?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
oh, and an update, switching to a 90+ lower panel is not plug and play...

You need the support bar, and I'm assuming the hood latch pull, nothing major, just something I wasn't aware of..

I might tackle it again soon, I have all the parts minus the bar..

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Another common reason for the dash lights going out when you turn the headlights on is if your hazard light wiring is unplugged from the switch. ;)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
To check if it is the dimmer jumper the white wire with black stripe to the white wire with green stripe on the dimmer plug. This will also get you by for a while if you don't have a replacement dimmer or can't get one right away.