GTX Turbos (Garret's Billet Turbos)

Mark32JZ

2JZ Power
Jan 23, 2010
Laurel, Maryland
Ive read some information on these turbos and from what I can read I hear there pretty decent. My question is how would the Garrets billet turbos, the new GTX series, compare to Precision's billet's or some other companies billet turbos. And since there now owned by honeywell is the quality still gonna be top notch. I have a 67mm precision thats going towards my build but have been debating going billet and if I do im curious as to who has better quality billet turbos as far as power and reliability go. Has anyone used or know someone that has used the GTX turbos?

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
From the threads I've seen on sf in regards to the GTX turbos, you're wasting your money buying them. They aren't any better than the "regular" turbos unless you're going to try and push 30+ psi all the time.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
CZ is correct. From what I have found, the Garrett billet wheels are there to reduce stress fractures and multiple cycle fatigues due to high boost pressures and temps.

The Precision turbos on the other hand, have gone billet wheel because of the fact they use a smaller "hub" so to speak to where the compressor blade is longer, but the overall outside diameter of the wheel is the same as a cast wheel.

Because of the longer blade, you get more flow....

Mark32JZ

2JZ Power
Jan 23, 2010
Laurel, Maryland
MDCmotorsports;1556835 said:
CZ is correct. From what I have found, the Garrett billet wheels are there to reduce stress fractures and multiple cycle fatigues due to high boost pressures and temps.

The Precision turbos on the other hand, have gone billet wheel because of the fact they use a smaller "hub" so to speak to where the compressor blade is longer, but the overall outside diameter of the wheel is the same as a cast wheel.

Because of the longer blade, you get more flow....

That's good to know. I haven't heard much about Garrets turbos other than what they have on their web site so I figured I would ask before I made any decisions. However I have heard good things about precision and since I already have one it would be cheaper to get an upgrade kit than buying a new turbo. I don't plan on pushing over 30 psi all the time since I am not building my car for drag racing, more for circuit and/or occasional drift so it sounds like Precision would be the better deal of the two.

Have you guys heard anything on the reliability of Precisions billet wheels?? I know they've been generating good numbers and spool time in the .6262 and .6765 sizes but I don't know much about the strengths of billet wheels. If I remember billet is basically cut from a solid piece so I would assume from the that the strength would be better but if they reduced the size of the "hub" will it be able to withstand the same amount of abuse as a cast wheel?