gte block with ge parts.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
IJ.;996949 said:
And the problem with that attitude is this is the tech section....

If people aren't corrected this will turn into "StupidMania", we spend a lot of time preventing this happening.

yeah your right... That's my bad! Sorry about that.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
By all means if you know a correct answer and see someone posting incorrect information in tech point it out in a nice way and we all learn.

Sometimes I'm a little gruff with my answers/corrections but this is usually due to time constraints.

The idea here is to have reliable correct information and not Net Myths.

Chico didn't know what the proper terms were and by not correcting/educating him you did him a disservice as he could possibly have gone on thinking that was what the tunnels were called. ;)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Yeah I feel like a dick now.

Out of pure curiosity why is it I'm the only one who frowns on the use of plastiguage? I think that shit is the worst invention to use for machining!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Plastigauge has it's place as a final check on the Machinist's work ;)

I trust my guys 99.99% but always plastigauge motors for my own satisfaction and to verify they haven't missed anything (I own a set of mics but don't see a reason to break them out for a check)

Most of my builds use new hardware so the plasigauge check is a good way to help burnish the threads so I get an accurate Tq reading.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Yeah I suppose its fine for a quick double check but I see people really baseing their clearance from this shit and machining the motors based on the plastiguage readings and that makes me sad. I know myself personaly I would be mic'ing everything....but I'm a machinist so I suppose I'm just anal about that stuff.....I just have issues with people recomending it...if your going to recomend something recomend the right tools for the job "mics".

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
gaboonviper85;997506 said:
Yeah I suppose its fine for a quick double check but I see people really baseing their clearance from this shit and machining the motors based on the plastiguage readings and that makes me sad. I know myself personaly I would be mic'ing everything....but I'm a machinist so I suppose I'm just anal about that stuff.....I just have issues with people recomending it...if your going to recomend something recomend the right tools for the job "mics".

When you pull a cap and inspect it, you are usually doing it for a reason. But plastigage tells you much faster if the customer needs to buy a crank or have it machined.

You don't like it, tell the engineers to remove it from the factory repair manual. And I know about bearing crush, so don't bother.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Nick M;997643 said:
When you pull a cap and inspect it, you are usually doing it for a reason. But plastigage tells you much faster if the customer needs to buy a crank or have it machined.

You don't like it, tell the engineers to remove it from the factory repair manual. And I know about bearing crush, so don't bother.

ouch....I'm picking up some tension..didn't mean to offend! But percision measurement tools are the way to go when "building" a motor which was my point to begin with....I'm not going to machine tolerences bases on what some playdough tells me I should....I'm going to machine based on what my starretts tell me!

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
gaboonviper85;997662 said:
ouch....I'm picking up some tension..didn't mean to offend! But percision measurement tools are the way to go when "building" a motor which was my point to begin with....I'm not going to machine tolerences bases on what some playdough tells me I should....I'm going to machine based on what my starretts tell me!

not to bust ya chops but umm you can mic all you want and if you mics say

1k clearance... so will plasiguage...100% of the time

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
HommerSimpson;997683 said:
not to bust ya chops but umm you can mic all you want and if you mics say

1k clearance... so will plasiguage...100% of the time

Plastigauge will not tell you if a bearing surface is out of round, or tapered.

A micrometer will.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
gaboonviper85;997662 said:
ouch....I'm picking up some tension

No you aren't.

didn't mean to offend!

That is a long way from offensive. Believe me, I will let you know what I think.

But percision measurement tools are the way to go when "building" a motor which was my point to begin with....I'm not going to machine tolerences bases on what some playdough tells me I should....I'm going to machine based on what my starretts tell me!

Who is machining anything? You own a lathe for this? Plastigage tells you if need a new crank, if you can't tell visually. Which often, you can do right away.

Last edited:

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
as nick said you should have an idea visually and plastigauge is good to confirm. but my argument still stands.

I think it goes without saying this is exaggerated.

311m4o7.jpg

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Nick M;997787 said:
]

No you aren't.

That is a long way from offensive. Believe me, I will let you know what I think.

Who is machining anything? You own a lathe for this? Plastigage tells you if need a new crank, if you can't tell visually. Which often, you can do right away.

I'm a machinist......its what I do for a liveing....I don't have my own personal machines no....but machinist all the same...and machining motors is no different then any other machining same principals apply to both!....plastiguage is fubar in comparison to percision mics...infact I went to my local engine machine shop and the first thing I asked him was "do you use plastiguage?" old dude laughed and said "that shit is for amitures"...right then I knew he was who I wanted to machine my engine!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
HommerSimpson;997694 said:
sure it will dude you lay it across the whole bearing surface.. i have seen many that were 1k to 1.5 back to 1k

then what...peel it off and distort the plastiguage?????? You go ahead and do that...I'll stick with percision tools....

And not to be harsh or anything but didn't you just cook your crank bearings in about 3000 miles???? That kinda throws your engine building skills out the window LOL...maybe next time you'll let a professional engine builder assemble said motor...hmmmm???

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
gaboonviper85;997842 said:
I'm a machinist......its what I do for a liveing....I don't have my own personal machines no....but machinist all the same...and machining motors is no different then any other machining same principals apply to both!....plastiguage is fubar in comparison to percision mics...infact I went to my local engine machine shop and the first thing I asked him was "do you use plastiguage?" old dude laughed and said "that shit is for amitures"...right then I knew he was who I wanted to machine my engine!

I guess you completely missed it. Your(machinist) job is to mic, not these owners. That is if you do automotive machining. I guess Toyota engineers are amateurs.

Spell check is for amateurs ..

Last edited:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Nick M;998388 said:
I guess you completely missed it. Your(machinist) job is to mic, not these owners. That is if you do automotive machining. I guess Toyota engineers are amatures.

Spell check is for amateurs ..

im pretty sure you missed it...you can get good mics for a reasonable price....and mics are much better and ALOT more precise then plastiguage! Mock the spelling all you like but I'm still waiting for you to prove plastiguage is the best option....and I'm going to have to say one would be stupid to choose plastiguage over mics if mics are avalible unless like Ij mentioned he trusts his machinist and likes the piece of mind....

Go ahead and use you playdough all you like.....I'll use the right tool for the job!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I have a set of mics, cylinder bore gage, slide caliper and dial indicator. And I get paid to do what you are asking about.

You know just enough to get yourself in trouble. See ya.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Nick M;998839 said:
I have a set of mics, cylinder bore gage, slide caliper and dial indicator. And I get paid to do what you are asking about.

You know just enough to get yourself in trouble. See ya.

I only ask this question because it confuses me as to why people use it.....and I get paid for what I do which is obvious you have very limited experience with....mechanics fix cars...machinists MAKE motors, and majority of everything else on a car...when my oil needs changed and I'm too lazey to do it I'll go to you cause thats what you do.....but when metal needs cut, holes need bored, prototypes need made, and percision is needed machinist is who you go to...you may work for toyota but I highly doubt you build motors...if the cars is under warranty you order an engine and nobody is going to pay dealer prices for toyota mechanics to rebuild an engine.....becides it would be more cost effective for toyota to subout the engine that needs built....so in other words I don't believe your job builds motors in house...and I doubt you build motors for a liveing...I know damn sure you don't run a machine, so why argue....my only point from the begining is if your rebuilding a motor use the right tools and plastiguage isn't the right tool..comes in handy I suppose but still not the best option!