Group A Head

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
:biglaugh: LoL, a dam to prevent port reversion, in a turbo engine, now that funny as hell !!

Let's see, intake charge at say a mild 10 psi........
Exhaust back preasure at about 5 psi (if that)

Just what will cause 5 psi exhaust gas to flow back into an open exhaust valve at the last milisecond while the intake valve is already starting to open with 10 psi pushing the next charge in ?

Oh, I know......
The Force Luke, the Force !!

That theory only applies to a NA engine, and usually only some pig-iron V8.
And even people who build those have left it on the shelves, gathering dust........

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
In theory yes the exhaust dam effect could be restored but the amount of overlap would need to be correctly sized and there is a possibility it would affect the torque output and curve depending on what was done to the ports. For every action there is a reaction and its still true here[/QUOTE]
posted by GC89

ok, but it would have to improve performance if under more boost and bigger cams it would have to help to have bigger exhaust ports just still with the reverse daming method going for the proper flow effect.

Davegt27

friend
Apr 1, 2007
CO
Looks like that Group A head is gone

hey what are the rules for Group A, I know it was a racing class in Japan but it would be nice to have a little more info

I would assume that TRD Japan would know what they where doing and would not go to all that trouble to turn out some junk head

any info would be help full

Davegt27

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
gofastgeorge;1514581 said:
:biglaugh: LoL, a dam to prevent port reversion, in a turbo engine, now that funny as hell !!

Let's see, intake charge at say a mild 10 psi........
Exhaust back preasure at about 5 psi (if that)

Just what will cause 5 psi exhaust gas to flow back into an open exhaust valve at the last milisecond while the intake valve is already starting to open with 10 psi pushing the next charge in ?

Oh, I know......
The Force Luke, the Force !!

That theory only applies to a NA engine, and usually only some pig-iron V8.
And even people who build those have left it on the shelves, gathering dust........

The key here is we are talking about a STREET CAR I dont know about you but Im not boosting 24 hours a day. Off boost a turbo engine will behave THE SAME as a naturally aspirated engine so the concepts are still relavent.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
GC89;1515096 said:
The key here is we are talking about a STREET CAR I dont know about you but Im not boosting 24 hours a day. Off boost a turbo engine will behave THE SAME as a naturally aspirated engine so the concepts are still relavent.

Well, if your stuck with one car, and are more concerned with mileage, and low speed running than performance,
then you should leave it stock, and not mess with it at all.

I have an old truck for commutes, and grocery runs. (more to gaurd against stupid-ass drivers talking on their cells killing my car)
The 7M I drive when I want to go kick mustang ass.
And the funny thing is, with all the low speed crap deleted from mine, like the ICS, most, but not all of the crap in the combustion chamber,
AND 4.56 gears, it will still knock down 22 mpg on the highway.....

Damn, I wish I had money for that real nice one in Canada.....

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
GC89;1515096 said:

And there's an important distinction, I build fast road cars (hence my post in the Cam's thread) NOT race cars with number plates.

I try to make improvements across the board so the car can be driven daily and never misbehave no matter what I do with it, last 7m was making 500+rwhp and still pulling down 28 Us Mpg on the highway.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Davegt27;1514690 said:
Looks like that Group A head is gone

hey what are the rules for Group A, I know it was a racing class in Japan but it would be nice to have a little more info

I would assume that TRD Japan would know what they where doing and would not go to all that trouble to turn out some junk head

any info would be help full

Davegt27

The Head was no where near stock specs. It consisted of upgraded cams, Larger Ti Valves, Re-shaped combustion chamber and Porting/Polishing, probably more.

A Group A car had to be based off of a production car ie: Turbo A Supra, E30 M3, Skyline GT-R32, etc.
Those companies involved in the Group A races had to produce at least 500 cars for the public to qualify for a Group A car.
As far as motor/drivetrain modifications go, As far as I know they were unlimited. More info can be found on this link.
http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/pages/specifications/MA70GA/ma70ga.htm

Davegt27

friend
Apr 1, 2007
CO
Very cool

Even the Air jack system is cool
I bet if one followed some of the stuff done on that car there car would kick butt

Davegt27

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
IJ.;1513399 said:
And this one is a little different again, looks deeper?
(might just be camera angle though)

trdhead_2.jpg

That one there is my Brothers head and its the real deal, as he bought a complete Group A motor, so I inherited the oil pan he had previously bought

The motor is coming apart again later this year so we will try and get alot more pics of the head

87M-GTE;1515449 said:
I wrote that article, I forgot all about it till you put the link up !