Grounds

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
Overview:
I relocated my battery to the trunk and would like to rerun all the grounds to avoid using the chassis as a conduit.

Please bear with me, I am not an electrician and find wiring diagram intimidating I have read through a bit of http://www.autoshop101.com/ on electrical but did not find much information on grounds.

Current Routing:
Currently there is one 4 gauge wire from battery to chassis in rear near battery, another 4g wire is ran from rear to a distribution block under passenger side glove box.
A 4g wire leaves this dist block to another located in center of engine bay above engine which Is currently grounded to the right side fender wall as well as to the block.

Proposed Routing:
Ideally I would like to run all ground points in cabin back to the first distributor and all grounds in engine bay back to the second. With the neg terminal on battery ran to the ground point in the rear hatch.

Questions:
What confuses me is noise from other electronics and ground loops. If any one could shed some light it would be appreciated.
-Ground loops are usually caused when the (-) negative ground returning from the amplifier to the battery has a high resistance; or the
wire or metal frame used to send the (-) negative ground is not the best path back to the battery forcing the (-) negative ground to fight
to return back to the battery. Source

What grounds can share the same distribution block or does it not matter?
What grounds should be closer to the battery/ father away or does this not matter either?
What other grounds are there besides those listed below? ex: The ignitor, coilpacks etc.

Where are all the grounds?

TSRM Ground Reference

A - Right Fender - It is right under your upper IC piping where it travels through the fender
B - Intake Manifold - Under intake manifold, I believe stock it is attacked to same bolt as the metal vacuum line there.
C - Left Fender - Directly under the fuse box. You can follow the bracket on the ignitor down to this point.
p1755807_1.jpg

D - J/B No 1 Set Bolt // E - Left Kick Pnael // F - Radio Left // G - R/B No 4 Set Bolt // I - Floor Center
p1755807_2.jpg

H - Floor Left // J - Floor Right // K - Back Panel Center
p1755807_3.jpg

As I attempt to find all of these I will try to get pictures up of each location.

Last edited:

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
What is the best way to connect the ground wire ran from battery to the factory ground points?

Using ring terminals currently but stacking more than 1 ring terminal on the same bolt is probably not the best solution.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
When relocating the battery, you should mimic the stock setup. Just with longer cables. Two cables from the battery all the way to the motor. And a ground strap to the body.

Your way over-thinking this, just set it up like stock and youll be golden.

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
20 years worth of corrosion and rust... not exactly the least resistive path back to the battery.

What is the best ground to tap into for a wideband o2 sesnor? The gauge will send data to the AEM EMS so ground points need to line up.

Are E1 E01 and E02 all equal?

Last edited: