groaning noise in rear

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
My buddy's 89 supra has developed a noise in the rear... not sure if it's drivetrain or suspension related... anyhow as he described it... he said it's binding up like a gear sync issue or something when accelerating from a stop turning left or right.... but he said it goes away once he straightens the car up.... the car has been doing a lot of sitting... as I'm about to purchase it... but it does need to be roadworthy.... the car should be going up on a lift (for diagnosis), but I though Id ask for a few opinions as that certainly couldn't hurt. 8)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Check the diff fluid, gears that aren't properly lubricated rarely make pleasant noises...

Might also be a wheel bearing, but I understand ours are quite durable, my money would be on the diff fluid being low and/or very much in need of changing.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
well.... I guess I'll find out at the end of the week. So no one has had any issues like this having a rear suspension bushing/mount go out? I swear I'd read something about that before...

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Sounds exactly like what happened to my front wheel bearing. Starts off by sounding like a groan when turning, then gradually gets lounder and sounds more like high friction...eventually its the sound of metal on metal regarless of operating condition. Took about 400 miles to go from slight groan to undrivable

I just about finished a full suspension mod where I replaced pretty much everything...The bearings are very durable BUT if any debris gets in them they are toast. The bearing cap popped off the back of my front driverside knuckle and let debris in and trashed the bearing...an entire ball was in multiple pieces by the time I pulled it.

Bearings are like $80 each on rockauto and the rears arent too hard to get to...if you have the right tools

Be sure to replace in sets and be careful when ordering the inner and outer oil seals...beck arnley has the same P/N for inner and outer but they are different sizes

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
wheel bearing going out and a diff going out make similar noises.

Driving with the wheels off the ground and a stethoscope will pinpoint it.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Get the car on jackstands. Stick a stethoscope on the knuckle, center DS bearing and diff. If its the diff ask for GL5 with NO LSD additive. If you want to be extra safe, install the lugnuts without the wheels on.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
my gut is telling me it's the diff. it only does it in gear, clutch engaged, powering into a turn. noises and response are random, binding as well.... pretty nasty sounds, clunking, grinding, you name it.

Last edited: