grinding valve shims...

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
so i have 14 valve shims that are too big. all of them are in the 2.90+ size and i need all 14 to be between 2.65-2.8.

I found a machine shop that will put them on a magnetic base grinder and take them down to the correct size. they claim to be able to get the thickness correct to .001" and they assure me the 2 faces will be parallel and completely flat.

the only issue the machinist described was that the face that he grinds will not be mirror smooth. now i understand that smoothness is imperative for the side of the shim that touches the cam, but what about the side that goes into the bucket?

cant i just have him resurface the one side and then make sure that rough side sits facedown in the bucket leaving a nice smooth side of a perfectly sized shim to face the cam?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Uh... Can i trade you shims? I have a TON that are generally smaller (I think 2.6-2.8) and I've needed larger shims in the past. I'd be fine with an even trade for whatever sizes you need. I think I have 50-100 shims, no exaggeration. I'm sure I'd have whatever size you need if you're looking between 2.6-2.8.

PM me and I can check my sizes tomorrow.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Yeah, I'm down for an even trade as well. Keep in mind that Texas shims are better than Colorado shims because our state is just better overall.

BTW, for the price that machinist is probably going to charge you couldn't you just buy some new ones?

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
haha in texas, isnt everything BIGGER in addition to being better? your shims are probably 26mm or something.

also i didnt get a price from the machinist yet, just discussed the job with him and told him i wanted to go home and think about it (AKA post here and make you guys think about it ;)) i have discovered that the cost to purchase the shims new freom cylinderheadsupply.com is ~$60.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
i have discovered that the cost to purchase the shims new freom cylinderheadsupply.com is ~$60.

Which is probably alot less than what the machinist is going to charge you for setting up and grinding 14 shims. Or you can do an even trade with suprarx7nut, or myself and pay for just shipping.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
2 per package for $6.95. Damn that's damn good deal. If you need two shims that are different sizes, you could probably use one size that would still be within spec when adjusting your valve lash.

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
the dealer hear in cally wanted $12 each. too rich for me, so i went to pick n pull and grabbed a ton of them for cheap. Just saying. plus it made it way easer for me to have a bunch on hand when setting valve lash.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I ground every one of mine to spec ! They make machines to do this but here's how I did it. Sure to get remarks about it but it has held up, checked 5K miles ago and clearances were in order.
I would measure the shim to see where I was. Then hold it onto the side of the grinding wheel using leather glove and take it off slowly, one side only. Once I was close and it was flat I would put it on a cutting board which had lapping compound on the board, one of those vibrating sanders on the top with some very fine paper and shine that side back up. Recheck again. Very time intensive.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
This is NOT the recommended I know and swapping shims is much easier and safer. This is what I did on my build and figured I would share. It's my feedback and this is a forum.

It's time intensive and I was replacing the head so had plenty of too big shims.

It does get better. I also used a suction cup on a drill (one of those napa hand valve lappers) and also spun it on abrasive for that "MIRROR SHINE". Yes I said it......mirror shine

But send the head out for the valve job !

Last edited:

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
for the record, i ended up purchasing shims.

i dont trust DIY@home methods for adjusting shim thickness, and the machine shop route was costly and carried more risk than purchasing new shims (due to possible removal of surface-hardened shim face, possible rough finish which might damage cams, possible uneven thickness, etc).

new shims only cost $50 for 14. and now i have 14 extra shims to use when my next valve adjustment comes up.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
$12 each... That's too rich for me, but probably accounts for some of what I paid for last time I had the valves done...

$50 for 14... That sounds more my speed. I'm sure that I'm going to have to get a bunch, but first, got to buy a good feeler gauge.

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
feeler gauges are cheap, so no worries there. i got a 31 blade feeler gauge for $10 from a local auto parts store. .0015" to .035", (.038mm to .889mm)

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
"Then you need a different car with hydraulic lash"

Really? words fall from your mouth as shit falls from ass. keep your opinionated B.S. to your self.