Greetings from Miami, new Turbo owner!

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
I just bought a 1987 Supra Turbo hardtop yesterday. Got it off Ebay in Fort Meyers, FL. I will try to keep the story of getting it home short...

The car: '87 Turbo Supra, 5 speed, Black/Grey, All Power, TEMS, 93K miles, 2 prior owners, guy I got it from had to be in his 70's. The car is 90% original right down to the the tatty floormats. I have all the original paperwork, owner's manual, even the Toyota cassette tape of the car's features. No rust body. Paint good except for the top of the front bumper and the body has no dents or dings except for a minor dent below the body mounding on the driver's door, soon to get a dentless repair.

The pick-up: Old guy let the car sit since September 2007, moving it a few blocks, twice a year. I rented a car in Miami, intending to drop off the rental in Ft. Meyers and drive the Supra back. Figured I'd be home by 6:30 PM. I brought basic tools expecting some issues. Get to Ft. Meyers at Noon, old guy not there, wait around for 1 hour. 1 PM, First problem: battery totally dead... Off to Autozone buy battery and install. 1:30 PM, Second Problem: Spare tire well full of water, drain and clean out. 2 PM, Third problem: guy never checked the Clutch master cylinder level, looks like mud in the bottom basically dry, no clutch pedal... Tow car to shop, bleed clutch M/C, now I have pedal and clutch works. 5 PM, Fourth problem: Oil last changed 9/07. Stop at Vavoline quick lube for an oil change and fluids check. 6 PM, Fifth Problem: Front tires wasted, dry rot and rubbing sound from brakes... Stop at Sears, two front tires and alignment and tell me rotors are really rusted... Backing plate rubbing on rear rotor, pull it away and back on road at 7:15 PM. Pretty apprehensive at this point about making it back to Miami without something going wrong. Fortunately, a totally uneventful drive back to Miami, car ran 80-90 mph all the way. Drove like a low mileage car should. Home at 9:45 PM.

A few issues:

AC does not blow cold, no suprise for a car that has sat this long...
Cruise does not work, main switch lights up, but steering wheel button does not set speed....
Radio had poor reception before it quit. Power antenna went up when the radio turned on, but it sounded to me almost like there was no antenna connected.

The Plans:

For right now, I want to keep the car close to stock looking, but improve performance. I think Tokico Illumina II struts that work with the TEMS and some mild lowering springs will satisfy the suspension. Brakes will be re-done with factory hoses, rotors and calipers. Fluids will be flushed/changed where appropriate. I will be posting for suggestions for getting more horsepower out of this motor while maintaining a stock under-hood appearance. I want this car to be a sleeper, looking clean & stock under the hood, and avoid the Ricer exhaust and neon which are too common here in So. Fla.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Car sounds like a real gem. Stock Black MKIII's are not easy to find. Sounds like a good plan. Brakes and Suspension sound like a great place to start. Tokico Illumina and Eibach lowering kit is one of the most popular around here.
There are several options with brakes with some of them being good OEM upgrades such as slotted rotors, more agressive pads, braided lines and new fluid. As for go mods, basic bolt ons (intake, downpipe and exhaust) will get you 20 to 40 whp while preserving the stock appearance. Good Luck

Del-88

Crazy!!!
Dec 21, 2009
Savannah, GA
That’s a great find! Good luck with the car.

Now........ Where are the pics? Got me interested in the car, I want to see it!

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
Palmetto Bay

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Working on it...

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Welcome!

Let me know if you fix the cruise problem! I have the same problem right now!

I agree with you on the factory calipers, But grab brembo blanks for the rotors, Stainless lines, and some good pads. You wont be disappointed.

I wasnt aware you needed help in ft myers i woulda came out, Im just across the bridge in cape.