Greetings for Central New York

Thefox

Mar 19, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Hi Everyone

Just like many others my Supra project started on good old Craigslist.

I have rebuilt dozens of motorcycles and ATVs over the years but this time I felt like trying to go through a car. I spotted a Black ’91 that had been stored for several years and needed some work for $1800. When I when to look at it the motor wouldn’t turn over and it was a bit rougher overall then what I wanted. Next up was a red ’88 which looked to be in nice shape but already had the motor pulled and parted. The ’88 turned out to be a good base for a build so a trip back with the tilt bed from work and I had myself a project!

Then what do you know but the ’91 gets relisted for $1500 and in running shape (not running well but running). Boom… motor donor.

Most people think I’m crazy for buying a car without a motor, and then buying another car just for the motor but hey hobbies don’t need to be rational.

So now the plan is to pull the motor from the black ’91 and taking it down to the block to give it a full inspection. It has 88k miles and runs ok (turbo wasn't kicking in) so I’m hoping everything checks out so all I will need is a gasket set and ARP studs but we shale see. Once the Red one is together the black car will be parted. Hopefully I can have it going by the end of June. It will be a learning experience!

-Andrew

The Red '88 waiting for a motor
Red Supra.JPG

Black '91 headed to the shop
Black Supra on Truck.JPG

Black '91.. actually not as bad of condition as I original thought
Black Supra.JPG

Craigslist ads with the car all shined up
Red Supra CL Ad.JPG