green wire for COR use as ground for fuel pump relay?

boughart22

Sep 3, 2013
il
Hi there! I'm wiring up a fuel pump to bypass COR. I'm using the green wire from B1 connector to send ecu signal (ground) to fuel pump relay. My question is, I turn the key to accessory, ground cuts out an signal goes away. So there goes my ground signal for relay. Is this green wirr supposed to send ground signal again once the engine runs? My car is not running due to lack of parts yet. I have a gray plug ecu and harness from 1992 supra I believe. It cranks over. The car itself is a 1980 sr5 corolla. Pls help me out verify if green wire is supposed to lose signal when key is on IGN or accessory but will shoot out ground once motor is actually running. Thank you have a nice day!

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The green wire is grounded by the ECU to turn on the fuel pump once the engine is started. The fuel pump signal is off otherwise (such as when in the acc position). Don't know why you would think the pump would run in ACC!

Note, the COR also uses the starter wire to energize the fuel pump during cranking. Any solution you come up with needs to take that into account or it will never start.

boughart22

Sep 3, 2013
il
Thanks for reply guys. I am just following supracharged wiring for the swap. For the record, I didn't think that fuel pump would runn on ACC. The funny thing is, ground signal is on when key is off. On ACC, signal disappears. I didn't think about it until now while im at work. I guess I will just run it off ignition switch for fuel pump then. I tried searching here for a safer alternative. I obviously don't have a COR harness or housing for it. Im an amateur when it comes to wiring and doing all my best to wire it up properly. I have an actual COR I found from the yard that I might have to wire up from scratch and wire up a relay too for the fuel pump. Or I can bridge the wires like HVYman said and wire it up to a relay. But I don't get the difference from just getting IGN source to wire up the relay + directly to the fuel pump. I also youtubed under Shawns SupraTruck that he used the B1 connector's green wire to fuel pump relay to supply ground to Fuel pump, thats why this question came up and I was assuming that green wire doesn't shoot ground until the engine actually cranks or when key is turned into ON position. Im open to any suggestion for a "safer" alternative. Thanks again.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it is going into a Toyota it should have both a circuit opening relay and a fuel pump relay.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
An 80 corolla wouldn't have an EFI motor . The last one I did had a 3TC with a mechanical fuel pump run from the cam. I could be mistaken though maybe a 4axx?

What I did was run a four pin relay and triggered it from the ecu. I put a " kill" switch next to the INGSw on the dash next to the key. So in case of emergency you could kill the pump.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
A kill switch is fine as long as your conscious after whatever bad thing has happened that you need to kill the fuel pump. Why not just hook up the COR as it should be, all that is needed is the FC wire and STA wire, and both of those can be wired up in an 80 corolla using a transplanted EFI.

boughart22

Sep 3, 2013
il
Thanks for the suggestions. I was planning a kill switch somewhere also in the dash, It was a 3TC engine. In the fuse box, it says AC or EFI Relay. No AC in the car. I probably should start a build thread somewhere. I have to somehow hard wire a COR and fuel pump relay. I have no resistors anymore. I have way too much in hand to do still. I wonder if I can use the 3tc EFI relay somehow. I have to research on this also. I will keep you all posted. To run the car, I think I will be using a kill switch for now, since Im not going anywhere except inside the garage. Is there any other signal from the ECU that I can use for a relay that will turn off if the car isnt running?