greddy oil filters (opinions)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Thanks...I will. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain the use of AN as a correction fluid in the M1 oils? Like right now instead of tomorrow?

Edit after 30 minutes: No? Ah well. And I had hoped an insider could clear up some things. Not that you'd be the first XOM employee to be a company mouthpiece. And it's fossil fuels, not fules. You'd think a petrochem engineer would get that right...

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
jetjock said:
Thanks...I will. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain the use of AN as a correction fluid in the M1 oils? Like right now instead of tomorrow?
no additives other than supersyn in EP grade. The regular M1 has a correction that is derived from base lube stock.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Supraholic said:
Well, I happend to be a chemical engineer working for XOM. Yeah.. i dont know thing about technical side of oil... humm.. you can believe what you want..

Outstanding...lets assume the definition for "synthetic" is the same as in Europe...Grp IV or Grp V base stocks. And since we're talking about the base oil (not additives), what is the primary base stock used in Mobil 1 EP oil?

A CG analysis is hard to argue with from a technical standpoint...it showed mostly Grp III with PAO & Alkylated Naphthalene (AN) cuts.

jetjock said:
Perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain the use of AN as a correction fluid in the M1 oils?

JJ beat me to it...and your answer is following the company line:
(Doesn't tell you crap...)

Supraholic said:
no additives other than supersyn in EP grade. The regular M1 has a correction that is derived from base lube stock.

SuperSyn is a high VI, high viscosity PAO synthetic additive that has little to do with this...what is the base stock (API Group) used in Mobil 1? And why would it be necessary to use AN blend stock as a correction fluid in a PAO based oil? Based on the CG analysis, the conclusion is plain...at least some of the Mobil 1 EP line is using Grp III as the base stock.

If you are a chemical engineer working for XOM, a straight answer will be appreciated. XOM needs to come clean and have some truth in advertising...especially after suing Castrol over this exact issue and touting the use of PAO base stock all these years.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
with that said...

critical-mass-kitty.jpg

;)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
jetjock said:

Edit after 30 minutes: No? Ah well. And I had hoped an insider could clear up some things. Not that you'd be the first XOM employee to be a company mouthpiece. And it's fossil fuels, not fules. You'd think a petrochem engineer would get that right...

So what? People lie, can't spell and are somtimes genuinely stupid... some of them just don't know. Why all the hostility? I read your posts and it's obvious your a smart guy, and yet you're always chewing some one's ass off.

If people are afraid that everytime they ask a question or lend an opinion some Dr. Science guy is gonna embarass them, then they won't ask or log on or learn and the whole deal goes to shit. Lifes too short, we all acknowledge your genius, so give it a rest. Kindness is a better quality than intelligence. Think about it!

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ric said:
I just use toyota OEM filters and oil. Best in the world.

::hah::

Supraholic said:
I dont work for marketing and I can't care less..

I assume from your silence, Mobil 1 EP is exactly what we thought concerning base stocks...a Grp III oil.

It's fine to state your opinion...just back it up. There are far too many people on this forum that just pull crap out of thin air. Take Ric above for example...completely clueless. And the worst part is there are folks just starting out learning about all this stuff that would believe him. I guess that would appear to be hostile if you didn't know what you were talking about...getting called on something you say would be intimating.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
suprabad said:
So what? People lie, can't spell and are somtimes genuinely stupid... some of them just don't know......

The guy spit out "facts" with nothing to back them up, plus they flew in the face of legitimate science. Then he misrepresents himself. As for kindness there's more than one individual on this forum who has personally seen how kind I can be.

"People lie, can't spell and are somtimes genuinely stupid... some of them just don't know".

Err, and I'm supposed to feel what exactly? That it's OK to lie, be illiterate, or genuinely stupid? I see.

Btw, it's "sometimes"...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
suprabad said:
I read your posts and it's obvious your a smart guy, and yet you're always chewing some one's ass off.

Kindness is a better quality than intelligence. Think about it!

If your neighbors house was burning down would you tell them? Sorry SC, wrong forum.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Please stop this internet battle on what oil and/or filter is best. There is no best to cover all applications. It is a great feeling to get the most for you're money, but it ain't gonna happen all the time, every time. Things change and you will not be able to keep up on the new, bright star. Oil formulas change daily and guess what, there are profit backed. The life of you're engine is the last thing a oil manufacturer has in mind. Marketing is the key. The most important thing is that you use a SL-SM API rated oil, correct rating as per you're owners manual and follow regular service intervals and keep the level full. The filter is not even that important on a healthy engine. Here is what I know! This was not read on a chat board, or info from a friend of a friend, or discussed at the local barber shop. I deal with used cop cars, run harder than most, usually about 100K on them. For the life of these vehicles they were fed with bulk oil, purchased in 55 gallon barrels, and filters bought at the low bid. A low rated fram is not even used. Then these vehicles are sold at auction to cab companies. I have worked on those too. It is not unusual to see 350K out of these things before a engine failure. Some make it to 500K. Thats right, bulk oil and low bid filters. Buy a brand name oil on sale with the latest API ratings, A good filter, most will do the job and enjoy. Keep the level full.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Sigh.....

Do what you want, but let me point out a couple of things:

- A cop car is not a Supra...it's not near as modified as some of the cars here
- Cop cars do not have turbos...dino oil will coke unless you allow for turbo cool down
- The amount of $$$ some folks have invested in this car is significant...think they might want to run the best oil they can get?
- The filter makes a huge difference...if you want to get particulates in your bearings, run a crappy filter. Better yet, run a crappy air filter too. Again, do what you want, but don't spout off that the filter doesn't matter...you are flat wrong on this count.
- You are right about one thing, the marketing of oil in the US by the major companies is BS...that's the biggest reason I want to know what's going into my motor.

Might want to read the thread...the argument turned into the content of Mobil 1 and a guy shooting his mouth off (like you) and not knowing what he was talking about or providing any other pertinent info. Misrepresented himself too...says it's ok to lie and be stupid. Sorry, but that behavior is unsat. Supra Central asked me to shoot down this kind of crap and that's exactly what I intend to do.

If you want to run your Supra like a cop car, that is your business. You can run almost any SL or SM rated oil and it will be fine...make sure you use the heaviest oil you can get and a Fram filter...when your turbo or rod bearings go, you can blame it on the crappy design of the 7M. And you'll get the joy of working on it. Heck, change the HG out while your at it and use a MHG, but don't deck the head/block...you'll get to work on it some more. While you're at it, yank off a bunch of those unneeded vacuum lines and hoses.

This is the kind of BS I see here...you just added to it.
You don't like it, you don't have to read it. Got a problem with what I have to say, PM the management.

BTW - Didn't you have the same type "opinion" on oil vs water temps...I'm thinking you need to get a clue man:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=516610#post516610

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
suprabad said:
So what? People lie, can't spell and are somtimes genuinely stupid... some of them just don't know. Why all the hostility? I read your posts and it's obvious your a smart guy, and yet you're always chewing some one's ass off.

Please refer to JJ's Location under his avatar... You are now informed as to what kind of response you can expect from him if misinformation is handed out.

I've been corrected by him before. Does that mean I dislike him? No! I think he's a great guy, I like his attitude that he hands out here. You know why? Because if you actually soak in what he's telling you, he's actually helping you out better than most ;).

BTW: Preach it jdub!

Now, back on topic, sorry for the slight derailment.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Interestingly enough I just did a engine and filter oil swap... I bought only what I had on hand at the time which was at my local store a Valvoline Filter.

Can anyone say "dammmmnnnn" trying to take out the filter. hehe was heaps unco.. as I used only the toyota jack and if it wasnt for my dads Oil Removing clamp (which was in a tight spot as it is) doubt I could have taken it off.. and getting it down with your hands around the control arm in the tightest of spots without splling more (it was going into a pan, didn't want to get tooo dirty) was not easy but rewarding in the end.